Likes Likes:  5

Thread: I want to study philosophy on my own -- where and how do I start?

Cool I want to study philosophy on my own -- where and how do I start?

I admit that I hated philosophy as an undergraduate student. Silly as this may sound, I had always thought of it as, well, thinking about questions and issues no one cares about. I did do well in the only philosophy course I took.

I'm in my late twenties now, but I've become interested in studying philosophy as a hobby. I've come to the realization that studying philosophy can help me brush up on my critical thinking skills and may prove useful in any career application.

Any recommended reads? Should I start with the works of the classical philosophers or get books that provide an overview of their ideas?

At the moment this novel comes to my mind When Nietzsche Wept

3. Likes Ottovonn liked this post
    bighead
    Socrates, Plato, Aristotle. Just start reading.

5. Likes Ottovonn liked this post
    My first inclination is tracking down some introduction to philosophy college texts. What I like about college text books is if you buy a previous edition they are nearly free, as soon as a new edition comes out students need the new one. I bought a bunch of motor theory texts last year when I got interested in motors and the 4 I bought would have been near 2 grand for the current edition, I think I paid $50 for them on Amazon.

Once you have the introduction digested you will be able to identify the direction you want to go with you "studies".
    ALS Blancpain Breguet Hamilton IWC JLC Omega Panerai Patek Rolex Tag Tudor Seiko Sinn UN Vacheron
    It's wack if it don't say Patek!
    Stealin' lunch money on school playgrounds for Rolex since 1978

7. Likes Ottovonn liked this post
    bighead
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  47.1 KB

College book. 1999. Never sold one. 1200 pages.

9. Likes Ottovonn liked this post
    This is a surprisingly good book that I think you'd find enjoyable:

11. Likes Ottovonn liked this post
    Lots of great suggestions. I think I will look at older editions of college textbooks. I didn't think of that at all.

The Plato and Platypus book looks like a fun read. I will definitely grab that first.