Likes Likes:  351
Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233

Thread: Any Pen People here?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Strela167 View Post
    A looker for sure.
    Chinese have thin nibs due to ther thin and fiddly writing , a thick nib would give the detail. Their medium is our thin imo. Guess similar for Japanese too.
    From pics. their extra fine is very thin.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3285...857c4f87399962
    The fine is in stock at my favorite pen store, but sadly I think Iím holding out for a Medium.

Oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes Mediocre liked this post
    Blog Entries
    I can’t believe I never posted this here before. I’ve had Lamys, I have a MontBlanc (ballpoint), and I’ve tried some very expensive fountain pens, but I believe I’ve found my absolute favorite pen.

https://www.baronfig.com/tools/squir...lor=blue+slate

I have one in that color, but I’m considering getting a second one, since I’ve found myself carrying it everywhere and it’s inevitably in my bag instead of at my desk when I really need it. It writes as smoothly as any pen I’ve ever owned—I’ve always felt like “expensive” pens offer a luxury experience at the expense of usability. Fountain pens are leaky mess, they bleed through the page, they have either fussy inkwells or fussy cartridges, and you always feel like you just bought the first piece of your Ben Franklin cosplay and more will inevitably come, until you become that weird guy at the office who always has a kite with him. Ballpoints have always been meh to write with, but have some advantages (for writing on waterproof paper, for example). But gel pens—they flow smoothly, reliably (unless you get too fine a point, anything below like .38mm is asking for flow problems), and have dark, bold ink even with finer points. So I had a MontBlanc, but I was writing everything with a Pilot G2.

Then my brother bought me a Baronfig Squire. It’s rollerball, writes like a dream, feels great in the hand (the standard model is a little lightweight, but has enough solidity to feel like a real product and really lessens the fatigue of writing for long periods; if you want more weight to your pen, you can get heavier materials. It’s the first pen I’ve used that mixes a premium feel of a luxury pen with the flow and ease of use of a G2. Again, the only issue is if you write on a slick surface, like a stick-on label or waterproof paper (I mention this only because I keep a medical journal on waterproof paper and have to keep a ballpoint around for that, so it’s an issue I run into often), the ink won’t dry fast enough and it’ll just smear off. I wish it had a clip, since there’s always the possibility it’ll roll off the table or wherever I’m writing if I set it down, or maybe if the shape subtly squared off at the end to prevent it from rolling (my Lamy is triangular in shape where it hits the web of your hand and has an integrated clip into the body, which is a clever design, but for a pen that costs just about as much, is made primarily of plastic, where the Squire is aluminum, and uses a pretty normal ballpoint refill, the Squire would be my pick every time). But those are my only minor complaints, and the waterproof paper thing, I’d imagine, doesn’t come up for 99% of people.

I highly recommend this—it’s cheap enough that it can be an everyday pen and if something happens, you don’t have to break the bank to replace it, but it writes and feels like a luxury pen should.

Name:  695D9F55-746A-4B68-9887-EA0721EA44B0.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  68.9 KB
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

4. Likes Mediocre, Spooky, pacifico66 liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    I canít believe I never posted this here before. Iíve had Lamys, I have a MontBlanc (ballpoint), and Iíve tried some very expensive fountain pens, but I believe Iíve found my absolute favorite pen.

https://www.baronfig.com/tools/squir...lor=blue+slate

I have one in that color, but Iím considering getting a second one, since Iíve found myself carrying it everywhere and itís inevitably in my bag instead of at my desk when I really need it. It writes as smoothly as any pen Iíve ever ownedóIíve always felt like ďexpensiveĒ pens offer a luxury experience at the expense of usability. Fountain pens are leaky mess, they bleed through the page, they have either fussy inkwells or fussy cartridges, and you always feel like you just bought the first piece of your Ben Franklin cosplay and more will inevitably come, until you become that weird guy at the office who always has a kite with him. Ballpoints have always been meh to write with, but have some advantages (for writing on waterproof paper, for example). But gel pensóthey flow smoothly, reliably (unless you get too fine a point, anything below like .38mm is asking for flow problems), and have dark, bold ink even with finer points. So I had a MontBlanc, but I was writing everything with a Pilot G2.

Then my brother bought me a Baronfig Squire. Itís rollerball, writes like a dream, feels great in the hand (the standard model is a little lightweight, but has enough solidity to feel like a real product and really lessens the fatigue of writing for long periods; if you want more weight to your pen, you can get heavier materials. Itís the first pen Iíve used that mixes a premium feel of a luxury pen with the flow and ease of use of a G2. Again, the only issue is if you write on a slick surface, like a stick-on label or waterproof paper (I mention this only because I keep a medical journal on waterproof paper and have to keep a ballpoint around for that, so itís an issue I run into often), the ink wonít dry fast enough and itíll just smear off. I wish it had a clip, since thereís always the possibility itíll roll off the table or wherever Iím writing if I set it down, or maybe if the shape subtly squared off at the end to prevent it from rolling (my Lamy is triangular in shape where it hits the web of your hand and has an integrated clip into the body, which is a clever design, but for a pen that costs just about as much, is made primarily of plastic, where the Squire is aluminum, and uses a pretty normal ballpoint refill, the Squire would be my pick every time). But those are my only minor complaints, and the waterproof paper thing, Iíd imagine, doesnít come up for 99% of people.

I highly recommend thisóitís cheap enough that it can be an everyday pen and if something happens, you donít have to break the bank to replace it, but it writes and feels like a luxury pen should.

Name:  695D9F55-746A-4B68-9887-EA0721EA44B0.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  68.9 KB
    Those look fantastic. And a bit remind me of my Machine Era pens. (One of which has a Pilot G2 cartridge and the other a MontBlanc Rollerball. ) I may have to try one.

I guess just sign me up for a kite?

Bourbon might have been involved. Iím a little impatient, and decided if I absolutely hate the fine Nib I can have it reground.

6. Likes Mediocre, Raza, Strela167 liked this post
    Savagely Average
    Woo! So glad you enjoyed a bourbon LOL

Looking forward to pics and thoughts!

8. Likes Spooky liked this post
    Blog Entries

So at this point I guess itís fair to say I collect pens?

Back to front: Machine Era Markup (Schmidt Fine liner Cartridge), Machine Era Classic (MontBlanc Rollerball Cartridge), Lamy Safari with Lamy Black Ink, TWSBI Eco with Jacques Herbin Emerald of Chivor, Waterman Pen featured in the OP of this thread, Waterman Carene Rollerball with Waterman Blue, and finally my recently acquired Pilot Custom 823 smoke, Fine Nib.

The Pilot isnít inked yet, I wasnít satisfied with the bottle of ink that came with it, and the ones I had on hand were too green. So Thursday I should be receiving a bottle of Iroshizuku Tsuki-Yo. ďMoonlightĒ. Looks like a beautiful dark teal. Canít wait.

10. Likes Strela167, Mediocre liked this post
    Savagely Average
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post

So at this point I guess it’s fair to say I collect pens?

Back to front: Machine Era Markup (Schmidt Fine liner Cartridge), Machine Era Classic (MontBlanc Rollerball Cartridge), Lamy Safari with Lamy Black Ink, TWSBI Eco with Jacques Herbin Emerald of Chivor, Waterman Pen featured in the OP of this thread, Waterman Carene Rollerball with Waterman Blue, and finally my recently acquired Pilot Custom 823 smoke, Fine Nib.

The Pilot isn’t inked yet, I wasn’t satisfied with the bottle of ink that came with it, and the ones I had on hand were too green. So Thursday I should be receiving a bottle of Iroshizuku Tsuki-Yo. “Moonlight”. Looks like a beautiful dark teal. Can’t wait.

Favorite for daily use?

Favorite for limited, high quality writing?

12. Likes Spooky liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mediocre View Post
    Favorite for daily use?

Favorite for limited, high quality writing?
    I am going to request you please ignore my obvious lack of handwriting skill. It is something I'm actively trying to correct.

Name:  signal-2021-10-01-095638.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  93.6 KB
    -Ian Malcom, Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton.

To answer your questions:

For daily use I try to use all three of my fountain pens. The Machine Era Pens have been neglected since the time the TWSBI Eco arrived. If I weren't into fountain pens, the Machine Era Classic would most likely win. It is indestructible, screws down to very small dimensions, and currently contains a Montblanc Rollerball refill. It can also take any Pilot G2 cartridge so finding a replacement away from home would be extremely easy.

As far as fountain pens go. I use the Lamy Safari with plain black cartridges to take notes at work, and until recently the TWSBI Eco for other writing and journaling or whatever. I have found the Pilot Custom 823 and the TWSBI Eco to feel pretty similar to my hand. Since the Pilot 823 cost ten times as much, I'm not sure how I feel about that. Both are fantastic writers. That said, the gold nib (or "wib" as it almost appears with my extra lines) on the Pilot 823 has a little more give to it, so for high quality writing, that is probably the clear winner. My wife has a TWSBI Eco on the way, and I plan to keep mine to trial any inks I may want to purchase before I commit to a bottle. (Though I did buy a whole bottle of Iroshizuku Tsuki-Yo. And I'm glad I did.)

The Waterman pens haven't been used in months. The Carene is an extremely wet writer and I don't really like it, though I love their blue. It was a Christmas gift from my Wife's grandmother, so it will stick around. The other waterman (featured in the OP of this Thread) sits in my desk at work, and I have no idea if the refill in it is empty or not.

Name:  signal-2021-10-01-100612.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  75.8 KB

Considering my habit of carrying a briefcase and the high impact protective case I've purchased for my Pilot 823, I'm expecting it to eventually take the throne as my one and done daily user. The TWSBI will keep being carried for fun, and the others for whatever questionable paper I might encounter.

14. Likes Strela167, Mediocre liked this post
    Savagely Average
    Pulled this one out for use today. It is a tad heavy, but sometimes I enjoy writing with it. Today is a nut more freestyle writing (jotting thoughts for presentation), so it us perfect

Name:  20211018_105505.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  37.8 KB
    Name:  20211018_105521.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  37.0 KB

Savagely Average
    Went for a different one today, Schon copper rollerball

Name:  20211020_100737.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  29.6 KB

17. Likes Strela167 liked this post