Likes Likes:  657
Page 30 of 53 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Pen People here?

I have a Fisher Bullet Space pen in black somewhere in this house... haven't seen it in almost 20 years. Maybe it's lost in space.
    Last edited by gnuyork; Jan 4, 2021 at 10:45 PM.

2. Likes Spooky, theague liked this post
    I bet it still writes.

Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    I have a Fisher Bullet Space pen in black somewhere in this house... haven't seen it in almost 20 years. Maybe it's lost in space.

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

4. Likes Spooky, gnuyork, theague liked this post
    Blog Entries
    I have two. One is in brass and is mated to a magnum rifle caliber cartridge, 375 H&H maybe? It's just hard to hold. A second was given to me by a customer that knows I like pens. The body has grooves gut into it for better purchase, but on warm days when there is some sweat, I have to give up on it.

6. Likes Spooky, gnuyork liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Ha! One of those "you'll find it when you move" items perhaps?
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckmiller View Post
    I bet it still writes.
    I wouldn't bet against that.

A must own. Not the finest, smoothest writing instruments I've ever used, but properly durable.

It appears I totally have room for a nice fountain pen. Also, presently scribbling in a Rhodia notebook with Clairefontaine dot matrix.

The Schmidt Fineliner that comes with the ME Markup is a bit wide for my taste at 1.0mm, but is a smooth, wet, writer - something I love. I'm also considering getting another (at $42.00 why not) just so I can have one loaded with a Pilot G2, and one with the Schmidt without having to switch out refills.

When I was in the Army a Fisher Space Pen and some waterproof paper got used almost more than my pocket knife. Not to get off topic, but 3 things I believe every person should always have: a good knife, a light, and something to write with and on.

8. Likes Dan R, gnuyork, Strela167 liked this post
    probably still writes. lol (and now I see that was already said after I refreshed the page. lol)
    Kody

10. Likes gnuyork, Spooky liked this post
    Blog Entries
    So my wife ended up claiming the original Machine Era Markup that I'd had for about 6 months. It fits on the pen loop of the passport sized Midori (Traveler's Company) Journal she has. So I had to buy another one. Since I've had nothing but good experiences with Machine Era, I went ahead and bought the classic version just because. While the Machine Era "Markup" comes with a Schmidt Fineliner Cartridge, which I like, the classic is designed for and comes with a humble G2 refill. I have nothing against the G2 refill, but I wanted for something better.

Decided to do the Montblanc Rollerball "Hack". The Leatherman made short work of the tiny extra bit of plastic, and for less than $50.00 total, I've got a wonderful writer.

Name:  signal-2021-02-10-195439.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  47.2 KB
    Name:  signal-2021-02-10-195659.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  49.0 KB
    Name:  signal-2021-02-10-200758.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  37.4 KB
    Last edited by Spooky; Feb 11, 2021 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Grammar

12. Likes Strela167, theague liked this post
    G-Shock & Digital Moderator Kronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Any Pen People here?

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
    So my wife ended up claiming the original Machine Era Markup that I'd had for about 6 months. It fits on the pen loop of the passport sized Midori (Traveler's Company) Journal she has. So I had to buy another one. Since I've had nothing but good experiences with Machine Era, I went ahead and bought the classic version just because. While the Machine Era "Markup" comes with a Schmidt Fineliner Cartridge, which I like, the classic is designed for and comes with a humble G2 refill. I have nothing against the G2 refill, but I wanted for something better.

Decided to do the Montblanc Rollerball "Hack". The Leatherman made short work of the tiny extra bit of plastic, and for less than $50.00 total, I've got a wonderful writer.

Name:  signal-2021-02-10-195439.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  47.2 KB
    Name:  signal-2021-02-10-195659.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  49.0 KB
    Name:  signal-2021-02-10-200758.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  37.4 KB
    I have nothing against MB rollerball refills; in fact I have one in the MB Generations roller that is in my current rotation. If you haven't tried G2 broad refills, you may want to. Many Japanese refills are very fine and can feel scratchy. Not so the G2 broad refill. Energel 0.7mm and 1.0mm refills are likewise quite smooth (especially the latter).

I'm currently on a mission to put at least a significant dent into the massive box of ballpoint, fineliner/fiber tip and rollerball refills I have accumulated over the years. I'm squeezing some use out of some old Parker Porous Point refills (designed to fit their rollerball pens) -- Parker has not made these for years. I've also filled a Lamy roller with a Lamy M-32 fiber tip refill -- also not made in years. I have loaded an old Waterman Laureat with a Waterman fiber tip cartridge -- those are slightly more recent, but still have not been made in some time. These will never replace the fountain pen as my primary writing tool, but sometimes they’re a nice change in routine.
    Last edited by Kronos; Feb 11, 2021 at 10:26 PM.

14. Likes Spooky liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronos View Post
    I have nothing against MB rollerball refills; in fact I have one in the MB Generations roller that is in my current rotation. If you haven't tried G2 broad refills, you may want to. Many Japanese refills are very fine and can feel scratchy. Not so the G2 broad refill. Energel 0.7mm and 1.0mm refills are likewise quite smooth (especially the latter).

I'm currently on a mission to put at least a significant dent into the massive box of ballpoint, fineliner/fiber tip and rollerball refills I have accumulated over the years. I'm squeezing some use out of some old Parker Porous Point refills (designed to fit their rollerball pens) -- Parker has not made these for years. I've also filled a Lamy roller with a Lamy M-32 fiber tip refill -- also not made in years. I have loaded an old Waterman Laureat with a Waterman fiber tip cartridge -- those are slightly more recent, but still have not been made in some time. These will never replace the fountain pen as my primary writing tool, but sometimes they’re a nice change in routine.
    I've only recently ventured into Broad tipped pens. I've always trended towards F to EF, but it seems that's not where experienced people tend to go. Though I have plans to buy a Stainless Lamy 2000 eventually, and that one will be with a F Nib.

Blog Entries
    I've only recently ventured into Broad tipped pens. I've always trended towards F to EF, but it seems that's not where experienced people tend to go. Though I have plans to buy a Stainless Lamy 2000 eventually, and that one will be with a F Nib.
    You need to go to where you are comfortable. For years, I exclusively used F nibs. My handwriting was precise and I took copious notes. An F nib let me write longer between refills. As time went on, my note taking had to be less and faster, so I switched more to M nibs. Lately, with my eye sight giving me issues, I have gone to B nibs.

The problem is that it is all a balancing act. To get usable/legible writing, you need to get the proper combo of nib size, type/formulation of ink, and paper quality. If any of those are off, you'll be less than thrilled. Many times, you just accept it and write on.

It's harder to do with fountain pens than roller balls. I quit RBs because I kept finding the flat spot on the ball when I wrote and it pissed me off. Then again, I have several bottles of ink that I am still trying to find where they will wrote well given all the crappy paper I write on.

17. Likes Spooky liked this post
    Blog Entries
    if you haven't ruled it out, try a friend's Pilot Vanishing Point. I have a vintage and current version. Love how they click. Like old ball points. But they are not for everyone. There are pros and cons to each. I ended up with the VP.

19. Likes Spooky liked this post