Likes Likes:  638
Page 29 of 52 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Pen People here?

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    I guess start with a budget?
    She already has a Montblanc but tends to protect it so I ordered something less precious she can leave at work. But it still has to write well. I went with Scriveiner London and Retro 51

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

2. Likes geoffbot, Strela167 liked this post
    G-Shock & Digital Moderator Kronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckmiller View Post
    She already has a Montblanc but tends to protect it so I ordered something less precious she can leave at work. But it still has to write well. I went with Scriveiner London and Retro 51
    Don’t know the first. The Retro 51 can hold a liquid ink rollerball (many modern rollerball refills use gel ink, which can be nice, but it is a different vibe) or any refill in the style of a Parker ballpoint refill. These are available with traditional ballpoint “paste” ink, with more modern gel inks, and with various hybrids.

I like the liquid ink refills; as a fountain pen guy, they come closest to writing with a fountain pen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a good thing the outside of the box isn't really part of the gift.

2020-11-19_09-50-35 by Chuck Miller, on Flickr

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

5. Likes Spooky liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckmiller View Post
    Had to look that up

https://www.scriveiner.com/product-p...h-black-refill

very similar to a Picasso of mine

Name:  BILD2302.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  54.0 KB

the retro is pretty cool too

https://manninc.co.uk/products/torna...=gs-2019-09-20

might have to try one

7. Likes Spooky liked this post
    G-Shock & Digital Moderator Kronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Any Pen People here?

Sheaffer, one of the great American pen conpanies, was acquired some years ago by Cross, another of the great American pen companies. Neither does any manufacturing in the US anymore.

Shown below are two current Sheaffer fountain pens — both are Sagaris models. The chrome cap with gold tone cap band and trim combined with a black barrel is a
    classic Sheaffer look that has been repeated over the decades with many different models.

The smaller pen at the bottom is relatively early Sheaffer cartridge filler (50’s/60’s). I typically keep a red Sheaffer cartridge in there and I use that pen on occasion to mark up documents.

Sheaffer uses its own proprietary design cartridges. Standard “international size cartridges” (used by Montblanc, Waterman, Pelikan and countless others) will not fit in most Sheaffer pens and Sheaffer cartridges will not fit in pens made by other companies.

With the Sagaris pens, I use a converter, which allows me to use any bottled fountain pen ink I choose.

The Sagaris is reasonably light, nicely balanced and relatively inexpensive (usually $40 - $65 depending on the finish). It features a pretty rigid steel nib. I have a half-dozen of these pens in different finishes and all but one wrote well out of the box. (I returned the one that didn’t and promptly received a replacement that did).

If you are looking to expand beyond “starter pens” like the Pilot Metropolitan or the Lamy Safari, the Sagaris is worth a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Likes Dan R, Spooky liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Since I still love my Machine Era "Markup" and have used it often. I'm thinking of adding one of these to the collection, once they're back in stock.

https://www.machine-era.com/collecti...it-solid-brass

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
    Since I still love my Machine Era "Markup" and have used it often. I'm thinking of adding one of these to the collection, once they're back in stock.

I have a MEP Original Brass. It's somewhere in there.. I love Fisher Bullets too.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Kody

12. Likes Spooky liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ague Trading Co View Post
    I have a MEP Original Brass. It's somewhere in there.. I love Fisher Bullets too.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mine lives in a case right next to a Fisher Bullet in black. Everyone should have one of those for sure. Mine looks pretty good considering the number of times it has been washed. (Usually hear it thunking around in the dryer.)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post

Looks pretty slick. I just would never use the roller ball, but that is my issue. However for me, I would need a clip. I have mulled getting a small Kwaeko, but can't leave it in my pocket. Just does not seem right to me.

15. Likes Spooky liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan R View Post
    Looks pretty slick. I just would never use the roller ball, but that is my issue. However for me, I would need a clip. I have mulled getting a small Kwaeko, but can't leave it in my pocket. Just does not seem right to me.
    That's why I purchased the markup over the original, the pocket clip. Though I never clip it to a pants or shirt pocket, it simply keeps it from rolling away should I set it down momentarily.

Not sure if that would bug me about the fountain pen. Guess I'm willing to spend $75.00 to find out.

17. Likes Dan R liked this post