Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Planning for 2015...Tell me what you'd pick!

Planning for 2015...Tell me what you'd pick!

I only buy one or two watches a year, generally one fun affordable one, and one more expensive watch. In 2015 I want to mix it up and find just one "keeper" that fills a hole in my collection. I'm planning on buying 1 watch in the summer /early fall. My max spend is $2000 and I do not mind used. Here's a pic of my collection so far. as you can see it runs the gamete price wise but I stick to sport watches.

my wants:

• between 42-46 mm
    • white or blue face
    • auto chrono a plus preferably 2 dial chrono
    • movement different than what I have there (unbelievably I sold all my 2824's but the Breitling B17 is one modded by them)
    • I'm good anywhere from $30-$2000 so I'm not looking to push the budget

Here are the contenders (in alphabetical order) to give you and idea what I'm thinking. Yes I'm allover the place, but that is because I have a couple holes to fill and am willing to go in any direction...

The Funky Bauhaus....

Major departure for me, but totally funky, Russian movement, white faced bicompax. Right at the top of the budget. This is a dark horse but one that has been on the radar for a while.

The Modern Vintage Diver

At $740 the cheapest of the bunch. 9015 is a hole, blue face is a hole. Love the styling on this and the fact that its a homage to an old Breitling tickles my inner historian.

The Go to Iceland for the Weekend and Buy it.

The ultimate destination watch (except maybe s Bathy's). Heck Groupon had a trip for two a few months ago. Go see the northern lights and get a custom watch. Doesn't really fill a hole except maybe dressier watch that isn't a dress watch or pilot watch.

The I Hope it's not too Small

This has been on the list for a looong time. Love the splash of yellow and the funky numbers. Only issue is it's 39mm. Good news is I get to see one on Tuesday so I'll know if it stays on or off the list....

The Fills Not a Single Hole but I Love it

Yup, no reason to buy this except pure lust. Probably the leading contender even though it would just squish right in.

So tell me what you think, what you would buy if you were me and throw out your suggestions. It would be awesome to rock this boat as these guys have all hung around for quite awhile in my mind.

Thanks in advance!

I like the Alexander Shorokoff and Sinn...

While you may claim it's "all over the place", I think each piece has something "special" about it - and that makes the selection process more, hmm, challenging, but in a good way.

I would also pick Alexander as first choice, for two reasons:

* Something that stands out from your nice collection.
    * I have seen it in person (and this is very important for me) and I like it. Though, I prefer the regulator, but the size at 43mm has held me back.

Happy hunting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes drickster liked this post
    I don't think your collection is all over the place either. Apart from those who buy only one brand or "theme" of watches, most of us have collections that are a bit of everything (like mine).

Of your choices, I'd go for the Benarus

1) the most appealing to me
    2) one can't have too many divers
    3) blue dial definitely fills a hole
    4) as you note, the cheapest on your list (leaving room for one more, perhaps??).
    Ebels (lots), IWC, Omega, FC, Eterna, Tag, Invicta, Movado
    If you are interested in the details http://www.intlwatchleague.com/membe...70&tab=aboutme

6. Likes drickster liked this post
    Thanks guys. I'm pretty comfortable with what I have now, but it's heavy on affordables. I'd like to kick it up a notch. The goal is one watch, regardless of price. It's funny depending on the day, any one of these four will be in the lead. Do you guys have anything else I should look at?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Savagely Average
    Go to Iceland....that would be fun

9. Likes drickster, Colin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by drickster View Post
    The Fills Not a Single Hole but I Love it

Yup, no reason to buy this except pure lust. Probably the leading contender even though it would just squish right in.
    The hedonist part of my personality says a Sinn fills plenty of holes. Even if you don't think there is one, a Sinn will make a hole and fill it. Reason often talks you out of what you really want. Give in to your lust. You know you want to.

11. Likes drickster liked this post
    Haha, I just realized you all each picked a different watch! Now I'm back to square 1!!!!

Of your options (none of which seems to fulfil the criteria in your text!) I like the Sinn the most. However, I'm going to Iceland in Feb so if you want me to pick up the 1941 then PayPal me some cash and I shall!
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Haha!! Thanks but...Except for the Sinn (which I realized has a black bezel, I don't have one of those....) and the Frisland (which really doesn't fulfill anything other than a trip to Iceland...I fear I would spend much more on a different watch when I got there). The rest meet some of the criteria. I'm not looking for one watch to fill them all, those are just a couple of holes I'd like to fill.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Of your options (none of which seems to fulfil the criteria in your text!) I like the Sinn the most. However, I'm going to Iceland in Feb so if you want me to pick up the 1941 then PayPal me some cash and I shall!