Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry boxes for watches

Question Dry boxes for watches

For anybody who lives in a humid climate.....

Are dry boxes a good idea for watch storage?

or not necessary?

I know a lot of people use them for photography equipment.... which none of my watches are....

thoughts?

Buy some Silica gel sachets to put in with your watches if you're concerned (and replace them from time to time)

Yeah, I could do that I guess.

But should I be concerned or does it not really matter? I suppose I am more worried about the leather vs. the actual watch.... I think....

Blog Entries
    If you live in a humid climate you could possibly end up with rust in the watch. It's a very real scenario. I would never tightly seal a watch where I live for this reason. I've tightly sealed guns for a few months and voila, rust. It's just not a good idea. Use them for short term storage only

Quote Originally Posted by Broker View Post
    If you live in a humid climate you could possibly end up with rust in the watch. It's a very real scenario. I would never tightly seal a watch where I live for this reason. I've tightly sealed guns for a few months and voila, rust. It's just not a good idea. Use them for short term storage only

Use what for short term storage? Dry boxes?

Silica gel packs.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

If it is water resistant, wouldn't that make it a non-issue?
    At least internally. The outside I am thinking would depend solely on the grade and quality of the stainless, or other material.

At least that's how it makes sense in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by TokyoLunch View Post
    Use what for short term storage? Dry boxes?

What exactly are these dry boxes you talk about?, are they just hermetically sealed boxes ?
    or hermetically sealed with forms of moisture removal inside too? (i.e. silica gel sachets), because without you're just sealing in moist/humid air in your box and keeping it in there.

I just have a few silica gel sachets in my usual watch case to keep moisture under control.
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk
    If the supply of ETA movement parts affects you please complete this survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/swiss_watches

No need in my opinion, if it's a diver let it rain....if it's a dressy piece, it will live till the next service.