Likes Likes:  194
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your watches for your Christmas

Your watches for your Christmas

Christmas is coming and, despite all the good memories from other years, sometimes, a pale sense of nostalgia announces its presence. Not necessarily a bad thing, I suppose. But, for this period, I found myself – somehow unexpectedly - choosing some older watches to wear. And you? Care to share?

My first chrono (Valjoux 7733 - mid 70s)

Name:  Mestril_22.JPG
Views: 190
Size:  408.0 KB

A "traditional" hand wind Seamaster (c. 1958)
    Name:  PC220008 (1).JPG
Views: 188
Size:  411.2 KB

Pilot watches (flightmaster 1973, Speedmaster MKII 1970)

Name:  Omega flightmaster_MKII2.JPG
Views: 199
Size:  444.9 KB

Name:  Omega flightmaster_16.JPG
Views: 304
Size:  468.0 KB

Name:  Omega Speedy MKII_31.JPG
Views: 187
Size:  443.2 KB

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Cheers,
    C
    Last edited by CFR; Dec 22, 2014 at 08:43 PM.

I know what you mean, and will be wearing this quite a bit. It was my dad's 21st birthday present from his mum and dad in '61. He passed away in September this year, and I'll be spending most of boxing day with my nan, his mum. Hopefully she'll be pleased to see it up and running and being enjoyed.

Last edited by OrangeSport; Dec 22, 2014 at 10:13 PM.
    G-Shock: GW3000B-1A
    Rolex: Submariner 14060M
    Accurist: 1961 Shockmaster (Gold) & 1965 Shockmaster (Steel)
    Omega: Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00
    Meistersinger: Perigraph AM1002
    Ben Sherman: S489.OOBS
    Rotary: 1990 Quartz (Gold)
    Steinhart: Ocean GMT 39mm
    Certina: DS Super PH500M & DS PH200M
    Timex: MKI Mechanical

Definitely this for New Years Eve though, as always

Probably for Christmas Day too...
    G-Shock: GW3000B-1A
    Rolex: Submariner 14060M
    Accurist: 1961 Shockmaster (Gold) & 1965 Shockmaster (Steel)
    Omega: Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00
    Meistersinger: Perigraph AM1002
    Ben Sherman: S489.OOBS
    Rotary: 1990 Quartz (Gold)
    Steinhart: Ocean GMT 39mm
    Certina: DS Super PH500M & DS PH200M
    Timex: MKI Mechanical

I haven't decided fully yet .... probably the Nivrel 320

Name:  bargainofcentury2.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  47.5 KB

6. Likes CFR, Chase, JAGtime, Jato, synequano, Nokie, birdynamnam liked this post
    This for sure
    Name:  30919-chase-albums-chase-misc-picture64649-fiddy.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  69.4 KB

And likely this, especially if we get some white christmas
    Name:  30919-chase-albums-chase-misc-picture57977-very-polar-white.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  51.4 KB

Have some new pieces coming in before the end of the year, but not sure any will be here before Christmas to give some holiday wrist time to.
    Last edited by Chase; Dec 22, 2014 at 10:16 PM.

The period from Christmas through New Year's is essentially a vintage LED-fest for me. There are a couple of reasons, practical and emotional:
    - the first mass-release LED was the Pulsar "P2", which hit the stores at Christmas 1972. I remember it well. I was already a bit of a watch nut then, and I was smitten by this (and other) new technology of the time. Space-age-wonderful! It's old technology now, but I'm still smitten.
    -flickering fireplace, lights on the Christmas tree, homes and shops strung with pretty glowing lights; the warm red LED glow just fits so well with Christmas decorations.
    -it's dark at this time of year! Pretty hard to find a watch that's easier to read at this time of year than a bright red LED display.
    -for the past nearly-30 years, I've counted down, and rung in, the new year with a Pulsar P3 Date Command. It just happened to be the watch I was wearing that first time, and it became a bit of a tradition. Watching the digital date change from 12.31 to 1.1 is kind of cool...

The one that started it all, and "the first completely new way to tell time in 500 years" (and it was); the Hamilton Pulsar Time Computer P2 from 1972:

My traditional New Year's Eve watch. The Hamilton Pulsar Time Computer P3 Date Command, from 1973:
    Name:  PulsarNewYear2large.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  27.9 KB
    I realize all this sounds a bit naff to most of you, but it was a magical time for an aspiring nerd~ette, but now you know why I'm still so passionate about these watches (and why I have so many!).

Warmest wishes to you all for the Holiday Season, and a happy and healthy 2015.

~Sherry.
    Last edited by popoki nui; Dec 22, 2014 at 11:03 PM.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

Sorry to hear that. Wearing his watch is a great way to remember your dad.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSport View Post
    I know what you mean, and will be wearing this quite a bit. It was my dad's 21st birthday present from his mum and dad in '61. He passed away in September this year, and I'll be spending most of boxing day with my nan, his mum. Hopefully she'll be pleased to see it up and running and being enjoyed.

Ebels (lots), IWC, Omega, FC, Eterna, Tag, Invicta, Movado
    If you are interested in the details http://www.intlwatchleague.com/membe...70&tab=aboutme

10. Likes OrangeSport liked this post
    I hope Santa will bring me one and I can show you then.

-hayday
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

12. Likes Seriously, CFR, Nutty28 liked this post
    I still do dress up for Christmas and the watch of choice for the past 32 years has been

Name:  110219_81_Roamer_zakhorloge_1.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  79.1 KB

Why break the tradition?
    IWL member 90