Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Off Topic: WRUW

Blog Entries

Off Topic: WRUW

It’s a little hard to buy a watch that you have not seen in person, especially if it quite expensive. Until recently, there were no local retailers for Zenith, although now one has popped up in the past month. I enjoyed working with Topper’s in Burlingame, but if you want a boutique watch, you still need to go to St. Maarten. If only plane rides were free! Right.

But the Zenith I wanted to own was this Espada, a journeyman’s version, which is only available at boutiques, not retailers. That said, I am not sure it is made any more. I could not find it in Zenith’s website.

Name:  Espada Journeyman.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  92.4 KB

But one watch I also wanted for many more years was the Planet Ocean with orange bezel. I was pleased I waited until they came out with the 8500 movement. So when my family went to buy me a watch for Christmas, they could not buy Zeniith due to lack of distribution.

Here are pictures of my PO. These are Q&D; I’ll try to get better pics later, and of course, will not post them on this forum.

Name:  Seamaster 8500A.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  166.9 KB

Name:  Seamaster 8500B.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  189.1 KB

Name:  Seamaster 8500C.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  160.0 KB

For what it’s worth, the “pros” are the movement, accuracy, and legibility. The “cons” is the lack of micro-adjustment of the bracelet. That is almost inexcusable. The “huhs” are the minute hand being green lume and the balance blue lume. Huh? Still glows nicely in the dark.

Maybe next year. Think Zenith!

Dan

Dan:

Is this the one? If so, Ashford has a good reputation, although I've not bought from them personally.

http://www.ashford.com/us/watches/ze...o++espada&so=2

Blog Entries
    Looks like it. I have dealt with Ashford in the way past. I just don't think of them now-a-days.

Good find!

Dan

4. Likes mlcor liked this post
    Dan- How do you like this?

Been looking at one for a while and can't decide if I like it or not.

"Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nokie View Post
    Dan- How do you like this?

Been looking at one for a while and can't decide if I like it or not.
    Of the non-chronograph models I saw, this one was my favorite followed by a moonphase model in what they called a lady's model. You know their penchant for naming smaller sized watches "lady's model".

But I really liked this Espada. It felt good and wore well on my wrist. It's only a couple of mm smaller than my PO. The PO looks larger on my wrist than it should due to proximity of the camera lens.

I can't say I would trade my PO for the Espada. Each is a unique and cool watch on their own. I was just moaning that if family can't put their hand on a watch, they are not likely to buy it for you. Zenith's slow push into the US can't help them at all.

FWIW, that Espada should be a limited run. If you can find it and like it, it would make a fine addition.

Cheers!

Dan

7. Likes Nokie liked this post
    Excellent. Thanks Dan!
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx