Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Larger Size Vintage

Larger Size Vintage

I'm sure this has been kicked around the net a bit but I've never really found great examples of 40mm+ vintage watches that I liked. I'm basically looking for a simple 3 hand (Omega Pie Pan, Longines Conquest, Breitling Transocean type) that is at least 40mm. I've seen quite a few divers or chronographs or pocket watch mods out there but that's not what I'm looking for. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Blog Entries
    That's a tough one. I was always for the pie-pan models, but not sure about the size requirements. Aren't there a fair number of choices at the 38mm size? One with a large dial/slim bezel would look larger...

Dan

Yeah my 40mm thin bezel watches look good but on the small side for my wrists. It's tough because I probably won't have the opportunity to try a vintage on. I thought I saw a Longines from the 70's at 40mm. Thanks I'll keep digging.

Some Elgin models have smaller case sizes that fit well on my wrist, so just keep looking around.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

I really doubt you'll find any three-hand watch with a 40mm case, with the exception of a very few divers (maybe), dating before the 70's. And few in the 70's will be that large. Despite Dan's hint, 38mm is also really large for three-hand watches (except for divers, more of which might have been this size). The diver craze didn't really catch on until the Vietnam era and the popularity of Jacques Cousteau television shows. But many dive watches before that time (including, for example, the Zodiac Sea Wolf) were in smaller cases in the 36-38mm range.

You are stuck with buying a newer watch in the vintage style, if you want a 40mm watch designed like the old 60's pie-pan watches.

Rick "who happily wears pie-pan-style watches down to 34mm on his 8-1/4" wrist" Denney
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdenney View Post
    ...Rick "who happily wears pie-pan-style watches down to 34mm on his 8-1/4" wrist" Denney

I hear you Rick. I have some from the 32mm era as well. it is the watch on the wrist that matters, not the size. Mido. UG. etc.

Dan "who wears 49mm watches from the modern era when not wearing vintage"

There are some Doxa non dive watches that are 40mm.

Another choice is a trench watch. Although those are basically pocket watches with straps but I think of them differently then converted pocket watches,

I don't know of many 40mm vintage pieces but Rado made quite a few non-dive watches at 38mm and a few at 39. They tend to have a lot of dial and seem large er than they are due to the 18mm bracelets.

This 38mm Starliner wears bigger than a number of my modern 40mm pieces.

Last edited by Henry Krinkle; Jan 14, 2015 at 09:48 PM.

9. Likes Dan R, DJW GB, jsw41 liked this post