Likes Likes:  0

Thread: **** Let's talk tap size ****

**** Let's talk tap size ****

Well it is some thing probably not much thought about, but am tinkering with a pocket watch conversion to wristwatch got the case sorted got the movement in fits lovely in the case, back fit's on just got two minor problems to deal with. The crystal the donor case had a accident that was why it was available so am having to source a crystal for that not a big problem but have a bit of a hit and a miss getting the right one seem's it has a hidden lip that the crystal sit's on so changes the size needed but got one incoming and fingers across and all that ...

We come to problem number two the stem .. with pocket watches most are un-threaded solid stems, makes them stronger but not easy to cut down have damaged a couple trying and then trying to solder on a crown not easy ..

Have seen on the bay they do a threaded crown ..

Now the question is tap size .. as I said I had not really thought much about it as when buying just movements they tend to come with a stem .. well the one's I order do...

Tap Size would be good to have a list of these maybe .. so if anyone fancied having a go a building a watch they could check it if they wanted ..

But for this instance I have a choice of going for a tap size of either 1.2 or 1.0 so not sure what is best in a way, they will send me one of each which I thought was kind of them but then as am planning to do a couple of these sort of builds for fun having the right size to start with could be a better way to go on. but on thinking if we get the size wrong could end up with two un-usable ones .. so think i have answer my own question best to get one of each ..

As I got some stem extenders I can always modify the one anyway ... maybe

As always Ismy
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

found this but does not really help me much

sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

yeah as you say clear as mud think will just order both sizes then I will at least for the future know what I need for these type of conversions
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy