Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comings and goings - 2014 year in review

Comings and goings - 2014 year in review

My watch story in 2014 is pretty simple. I spent the first 7 months selling watches and the final 5 months on a buying spree fuelled mainly by crazy discounts on Ebels.

But first, where was my collection at the beginning of the year? An assortment of “stuff”, reflecting my brief collecting history. I had my ‘entry drug’ watch, Invicta ProDiver 9937OB bought in 2005, various quartz watches bought from 2009-2011 to try out different styles and then 8 automatics from 2012-13 (6 chronos and 2 GMTs). My goals for 2014 were

1. Get rid of the quartzes
    2. Get rid of some of the chronos to increase the diversity of complications
    3. Get rid of the GMTs because they just confused me
    4. Get a brand

January. Good idea – I sold a Wenger quartz tidewatch and Orient GMT autoName:  DSC03253.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  53.3 KB Name:  P1050754.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  61.3 KB
    (both at WUS).

Bad idea – I sold my Ebel 1911 BTR chrono (which I quickly regretted and then replaced – but I digress). Name:  photo2.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  66.4 KB
    Further bad news, my local AD closed. I went to the Natick Tourneau for an occasional ‘visit’ to see the preowned selection and ‘Boom’ they were gone. Fortunately the sales staff all got reassigned to other stores and I quickly began visiting the Burlington store to make their acquaintance and let them know my preferences.

February – June. Just happy with what I have although planning some more sales.

July. Sold a Bulova quartz over at WUS and a Movado quartz to a colleague at work (he paid me in Land’s End gift certificates that our company uses for Recognition Awards, so we both went home happy) Name:  P1060112.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  45.0 KB. Name:  DSC03262.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  44.6 KB

August. Replaced the Ebel 1911 BTR chrono in the July 4th MCS sale but this had to go straight to MGI for warranty repair (wound by hand but not on the winder, so complete movement replacement) and it arrived back in August. Name:  P1060651.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  49.5 KB Attachment 6921

For diversity, I was looking for a handwound but my searching led me to Frederique Constant and their Moonphase Manufacture (I was suckered by the in-house movement, exhibition back, moonphase, beautiful blue dial and great price). Name:  P1060888.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  70.4 KB
    I did have some doubts about the size and ‘sporty’ strap http://forums.watchuseek.com/f478/fc...e-1176298.html but now I don’t regret it all.

I also sold the Bernhardt Globemaster which everyone raves about but I could not get used to the slaved GMT hand and working out the second time just confused me (it was easier to just add or subtract the number of hours to ‘home’). Name:  P1060667.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  36.2 KB

September. Browsing Amazon one night (who doesn’t?), I spotted an Ebel Classic 100 LE at a hair over a grand which seemed good, so I reread Rick Denney’s review of this piece and snapped it up. I found the alligator strap stiff and uncomfortable so I have been rocking this on a crococalf deployment and various Bonds – and loving it. Name:  P1060831.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  23.1 KB

October. Zzzzzzzzzz…….
    Last edited by WWII70; Dec 30, 2014 at 10:37 PM.
    Ebels (lots), IWC, Omega, FC, Eterna, Tag, Invicta, Movado
    If you are interested in the details http://www.intlwatchleague.com/membe...70&tab=aboutme

November. Reading Rick’s reviews can be dangerous and here’s where it goes out of control. His notes on the Ebel Sportwave diver got me looking for the LE 500M version which I promptly found at my local MCS, in their Thanksgiving sale at almost 80% off.
    I loved its white/silver dial but still hankered after the black dial version in Rick's photos, so a quick call around to other MCS found one of these.

Dazzled by the sale prices, I also picked up an Ebel Classic Hexagon GMT (strictly not a GMT but a second time zone in a subdial), AGAIN following Rick's recommendation of this piece.

So 3 new Ebel’s in 3 days!

December. Snooze out the rest of the year right? Wrong! A buddy asked me to look around for an Ebel 1911 BTR chrono for him (which I sourced) but digging through the catalog reminded me how much I liked the BTR GMT. I couldn’t decide between the white/silver dial and black dial versions so, knowing that these pieces go like hot cakes, I got both! The independent GMT hand is a plus and the combination of un-numbered hour markers with a 24 hour chapter ring makes it easy to decode the second time zone.

Finally, I spotted a vintage Ebel 1953 three-hander at WUS to add to my vintage collection (it is in transit as I write so I have no photos or description).

So how did I do against my goals (I’ll do this in the style of an annual review at work)?
    1. I got rid of all but 2 of the quartzes (frankly 1 is unsellable as it loses significant time) – FULLY MET
    2. I failed to get rid of ANY chronos but increased the diversity by adding two 3-handers and a moonphase – PARTIALLY MET
    3. I got rid of the GMTs that confused me and traded up to higher end pieces (let’s see if I stick with these Ebels) – PARTIALLY MET
    4. Got a brand – EXCEEDED EXPECTATIONS. I have IWCs and Omegas in my collection and had thought in 2013 to pick up a few different models of these to explore the brand, but my pockets just don’t stretch that far. In Ebel, I have found a brand that appeals to me, with a range of different watches (often with in-house movements) that I really like at a price I can afford (due to the heavy discounts on discontinued automatics). I’m home.
    Last edited by WWII70; Dec 30, 2014 at 07:02 PM.
    If you are interested in the details http://www.intlwatchleague.com/membe...70&tab=aboutme

What a journey! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I envy you - and other members - for your rational and structured approach to this hobby I'm much more chaotic...

Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by WWII70 View Post
    For diversity, I was looking for a handwound but my searching led me to Frederique Constant and their Moonphase Manufacture (I was suckered by the in-house movement, exhibition back, moonphase, beautiful blue dial and great price). Name:  P1060888.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  70.4 KB
    Sucker us !! Name:  Nods.gif
Views: 151
Size:  208 Bytes , I must see the caseback and in house movement you speak of Name:  Nods.gif
Size:  208 Bytes

Comings and goings - 2014 year in review

Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    Sucker us !! Name:  Nods.gif
Size:  208 Bytes , I must see the caseback and in house movement you speak of Name:  Nods.gif
Size:  208 Bytes
    Here you go, with apologies for the poor quality

Last edited by WWII70; Dec 31, 2014 at 11:10 AM.

7. Likes MHe225, CFR, Seriously, Der Amf liked this post
    Well done. The question now is what will 2015 bring...
    Cheers,

Richard

Restraint and forebearance. I think it was Oscar Wilde who said "I can resist anything but temptation"

Quote Originally Posted by Cybotron View Post
    Well done. The question now is what will 2015 bring...

Savagely Average
    I see you decided that you like Ebel....great looking chronos!!!!

That white BTR is something else.