Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Because I hate to disappoint Der Amf... (incoming x4)

Because I hate to disappoint Der Amf... (incoming x4)

Went a bit nuts today, a blame a diet that has mainly consisted of alcohol and cheese for the last few days, and blew what was left of my Christmas money (and a little more, shhh) on 4 new pieces....

From top to bottom price wise:

Wenger Field Classic

£60 for a swiss field watch on bracelet with great looks was more than I could resist

Accurist London

£30 for a classically styled piece from a brand I've never tried before. Going to put it on a Nato and be all preppy and that (I should add I bought it after looking at Daniel Wellington watches that were 5x the price and less attractive).

Casio F91W

Because my son has appropriated my old one - £7.99

Men's Watches Sport Men Military Leather Strap Wrist Quartz Watch

Because:
    - The name is obscured in all the seller's photos which probably means it is utterly filthy
    - It has a massive 8
    - The strap is kind of cool
    - IT WAS £3.59 INCLUDING SHIPPING
    - I was drunk

2. Likes Seriously, Der Amf, synequano, scottjc liked this post
    Nice score! Wenger is the biz
    F-91w is a must
    And the Accurist a good solid piece

Tell me more of that last one?
    Linky?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinw View Post
    Nice score! Wenger is the biz
    F-91w is a must
    And the Accurist a good solid piece

Tell me more of that last one?
    Linky?
    Here you go
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...188656&alt=web

Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    Cheers!

Current apparently. God knows why that's blanked out?

Cheers!

disappointed

7. Likes Kevinw, Der Amf liked this post
    These are fun watches!
    You knew the F-91W is also called the terrorist watch?

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    According to The Guardian, "the Casio F-91W digital watch was declared to be 'the sign of al-Qaeda' and a contributing factor to continued detention of prisoners by the analysts stationed at Guantánamo Bay. Briefing documents used to train staff in assessing the threat level of new detainees advise that possession of the F-91W – available online for as little as £4 – suggests the wearer has been trained in bomb making by al-Qaida in Afghanistan."[5] United States Military intelligence officials have identified the F91W as a watch that terrorists use when constructing time bombs.[6][7][8][9][10]
    Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    This association was highlighted in the Denbeaux study, and may have been used in some cases at the Guantanamo Bay detention camp.[11] An article published in theWashington Post in 1996 reported that Abdul Hakim Murad, Wali Khan Amin Shah, and Ramzi Ahmed Yousef had developed techniques to use commonly available Casio digital watches to detonate time bombs.[12]

9. Likes whatmeworry, synequano liked this post
    Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    disappointed
    Blank some of the letters when it arrives and turn that frown upside down

11. Likes Kevinw liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Blank some of the letters when it arrives and turn that frown upside down
    I'm kind of hoping the pics aren't photoshopped at all and that's what the logo actually looks like

13. Likes Jeff_C liked this post
    The Wenger, Casio and Accurist arrived today and I'm happy with all 3. Not much needs to be said about the Casio but I will spend a bit of time on the other two.
    The Accurist is really pretty nice. Strap width is 22mm not the 20 that was advertised but that's not a deal breaker. The strap was very stiff and a sod to get off (took me ages and I stabbed my thumb with the springbar tool. It will live on Natos though and it works well on those, the dial is really rather nice, although hard to photograph, and the domed crystal is pleasing too. For reference the model is MS877S
    The Wenger feels really solid. The hollow linked bracelet was pretty bad (like you'd get on a cheap Seiko 5), but I've put it on a Time Factors rubber strap I had and it looks great. It has a feature far too few watches have, two sets of springbar holes, and the squared off case/lug design means you can get a really nice fit with the strap. I'm sure it would look great on a Watchadoo too.

IMG_0105.JPG by whatmeworry101, on Flickr

IMG_0100.JPG by whatmeworry101, on Flickr

IMG_0106.JPG by whatmeworry101, on Flickr

IMG_0107.JPG by whatmeworry101, on Flickr

15. Likes Der Amf, Kevinw, stewham, synequano, OhDark30, iyonk liked this post
    That Wenger is nice, i'm biased i have the blue dial version
    I have a few Wengers, the double spring bar hole is there, i think, one is for a strap and one for a bracelet.
    You don't see it often, Boschett Cave Dweller has it, i pretty sure i have something else too, but can't for the life of me think which it is, lol

Chris

17. Likes whatmeworry liked this post