Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seiko Monster Mod.

Seiko Monster Mod.

About a year ago I sold my Orange Monster to help make ends meet.
    This was a decision that I've regretted ever since, and seeing as prices have almost trebled I thought I'd never own one again...

However one badly written eBay add later I find myself in possession of a first edition black Monster.

For £42 I scored perhaps the worlds most unloved, filthy monster!

The bracelet was crusty, dull and scratched, the crystal has three deep scores, the case filthy but generally undamaged.
    The crown was stuck solid.

The crown was persuaded to unscrew, however the action was very stiff and quite uncontrollable, it was pot luck to set the time or change the date.

First I removed the back then removed the bracelet, stem and movement.

The bracelet I buffed up on my polishing rig I have in the garage (which admittedly is more used to seeing motorcycle parts!)
    This brought out all but the worst of the scratches.

Then I hand polished with an extremely fine metal polish before a buff with a finishing polish.

Now it's not absolutely perfect, but it has made the difference from almost binning the bracelet to almost perfect.

A spare link from Churchy of this parish completed the bracelet.

The case and bezel were given a clean in a mild detergent. I used a fine bottle brush I have to clean out the stem tube, which was full of all kinds of yuck 🤢.

The stem I used a fine oil on a polishing cloth. What looked like a rusty stem was brought back to a dull shine.

On reassembly the bracelet now gleams and it's links move freely, the bezel turns properly with that typical seiko feel you get with Monsters...and it lines up beautifully.

The stem now moves and operates faultlessly.

So I now have a very presentable black monster.
    The results so far im very happy with....

But the crystal still has very noticeable scores, so to this end I've ordered a medium domed sapphire crystal to replace it with.

My other problem, I'm not really fond of the white hands or the very blobby lume on the dial, so a hand and dial change is next up.

Trouble is......I can't quite make up my mind what face to go for....

Feel free to offer some inspiration!

2. Likes is that my watch, 93EXCivic liked this post
    Some suggestions for faces so far

Please continue to offer suggestions...I'm still looking for the right combo for me!

4. Likes The Watch Smeller liked this post

Seiko Monster Mod.

Well Kev, as I stated before it's the second picture for me (orange pilot style). A nice addition to This would be matching orange paint for the triangle surrounding the bezel pip and to highlight the first 15 second markers on the bezel whilst leaving the rest of the marks black
    While we're on the subject, is yours missing the bezel pip ? It's hard to tell on the photos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by The Watch Smeller; Feb 26, 2017 at 08:09 PM.

6. Likes Kevinw liked this post
    Yeah, the bezel pip is missing.
    Shouldn't be too much of a problem to fix

8. Likes The Watch Smeller liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinw View Post
    Yeah, the bezel pip is missing.
    Shouldn't be too much of a problem to fix
    I'm really looking forward to seeing what you achieve with this mod Kev. I've been having a look at monster mods since you mentioned you were doing one. Here are just a few of the ones I like.

Love the bracelet on the first picture and the bead blasted/coated effect is wicked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Likes Kevinw, Churchy liked this post
    Some further food for thought

And this just plain messes with my head

I won't be modding the case or bracelet, I love them as they are....
    For the time being anyway

Some further food for thought

And this just plain messes with my head

I won't be modding the case or bracelet, I love them as they are....
    For the time being anyway
    you got to wonder what movements in that thing the hands look 6497 so does the dial
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Yobokies does the hands and dial to fit the 7s26, but it looks strange to me

Yobokies does the hands and dial to fit the 7s26, but it looks strange to me
    oh cool yeah not sure of it either like the look built one similar but think looks wrong in a monster case
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

15. Likes Kevinw liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Some suggestions for faces so far

Please continue to offer suggestions...I'm still looking for the right combo for me!
    I like this one. Very Sinnish