Likes Likes:  27
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This little G-Shock....

Savagely Average

This little G-Shock....

Never ceases to amaze me.

It is the only G-shock I own, and it is one of my most worn watches. Radio controlled atomic solar and not massive, it is the perfect G-Shock for me. The world timer function also came in handy during my last trip to Taiwan and China, before I picked up my first GMT.

It splits time with my Ironman for use when playing soccer, working out, and playing softball (church league), but being smaller and lighter the G-Shock is the exclusive wrist time watch for tennis and basketball.

The G-Shock is the only watch I ever wear when doing any sort of manual labor or spending time in water. It has been in lakes, streams, pools, oceans, the Gulf of Mexico, etc...I have worn it to work on at least half a dozen vehicles, doing jobs as basic as an oil change to swapping out an engine. It has been covered in hot oil, gasoline, coolant, axle grease, etc.....It even took a nasty spray of some freon once by accident. I have trimmed bushes, cut trees, cut grass, hauled dirt, etc....always wearing this little watch.

Today I decided to give it the hardest workout to date. I cut down this tree, cut it up, then my G-Shock and I busted up some firewood the old fashioned way. I know it took some hard licks today and dealt with serious shock, especially when a hunk of wood popped off and nailed me in the arm. All the while, it is still working great!

Part of the tree we cut down....then up. At the largest it is about 19" in diameter

Name:  Gshock tree.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  22.7 KB

Then we grabbed an ax and started busting up some firewood

Name:  Gshock tree 2.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  24.6 KB

We ran out of daylight, but this was what we got done before the moon peeped out

Name:  Tree after Gshock.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  17.7 KB

By all means, please share your "amazing little G-Shock" stories

I often experience some serious accidental clumsiness... i have dropped my watches numerous times, hard bumped it and i'm not that easy on watches...
    those incidents might kill some other delicate watches... but its a piece of cake with g-shock..
    DW5030c is the one i wear the most and my designation out of town watch... beside some bezel changing to ordinary 5600 one.. it never hiccup or give any slight problem.. I love these G..

Name:  DSCN8429.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  48.3 KB

BUT i have to give credit to this seiko auto diver... this black monster have been accidently dropped very hard from quite high due to aftermarket springbar fail.. beside i have to trim the accuracy back myself, it's been work reliably and i belive one of the automatic that i would have confident... the good news is a family member told me she bought me an ORANGE Monster!! i might have to wait for months before i receive it when she visit.. but still.. what a blessing.. =D

Name:  DSCN8359.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  54.5 KB

3. Likes Greg, nelamvr6, synequano liked this post
    Everyday at work I use all kinds of hand tools, pneumatic, and hydraulic tools. Impacts and vibrations have not affected my gshocks yet and Ive been wearing them at this job since '85.

I wore this one everyday for years. It shows the most abuse of the ones I have due to the mainly metal bezel. Most models have resin bezels that can be easily replaced. The strap fell off and I took the battery out of it with plans to restore it someday. It still fires up without a battery when held up to light.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

5. Likes nelamvr6, Mediocre, iyonk, race, synequano, konafan liked this post
    I dropped my Tag Monaco once onto a tiled floor, I'll admit it felt like a bit of pee came out. It was not a good moment. Picking it up and finding the case dented and the sapphire broken on one corner was just upsetting. It cost about $500 to rectify the damage at the AD and the minute hand is still not aligned properly. Will cost another $50-100 to fix that.

On the other hand when I occasionally drop a G-shock there is no heart in the mouth feeling and when I pick it up to see no damage I admit I do have a little chuckle to myself. The world of G-shock is a good world to be part of.
    Last edited by dobber72; Dec 31, 2014 at 12:44 PM.

7. Likes Ottovonn, nelamvr6, Mediocre, iyonk, Rocat liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by dobber72 View Post
    I dropped my Tag Monaco once onto a tiled floor, I'll admit it felt like a bit of pee came out. It was not a good moment. Picking it up and finding the case dented and the sapphire broken on one corner was just upsetting. It cost about $500 to rectify the damage at the AD and the minute hand is still not aligned properly. Will cost another $50-100 to fix that.

On the other hand when I occasionally drop a G-shock there is no heart in the mouth feeling and when I pick it up to see no damage I admit I do have a little chuckle to myself. The world of G-shock is a good world to be part of.
    A couple of years ago I dropped my Seiko MM300 when I was doing a careless strap changing procedure. It fell to the hardwood floor at a distance of about three feet. I did a rather pathetic dive in an attempt to save it, but it was in vain -- the watch hit the floor bottom left lug first. I carefully lifted it up to inspect it and spotted no major cosmetic damage, perhaps a scratch or two. I did realize a short while later that the watch which had been gaining about 1 second a day now ran about 10 seconds slower.

Fast forward to the present and I am for some reason more of a G-shock guy than an auto owner. Out of boredom, I like to toss my favorite G-shock, the GW-5000, in the air and watch it plummet to the ground. Of course, it's unscathed every time.

Being a part of the G-shock world is indeed a good world to be a part of.

9. Likes nelamvr6, iyonk liked this post
    Savagely Average
    Interesting thoughts there. A large part of the reason that I have been purchasing pre-owned watches is because they already comes with a few dings, so I am less worried about keeping them pristine. I worried too much about my nicer watches that I purchased new, so I stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by dobber72 View Post
    I dropped my Tag Monaco once onto a tiled floor, I'll admit it felt like a bit of pee came out..
    LOL... thanks a lot for the laugh buddy!... sorry for the accident... and yes, so far i have no desire to buy any luxury automatic for the exact reason like your incident.

12. Likes Mediocre, dobber72 liked this post
    Savagely Average
    My G-Shock will be receiving some more use over the long weekend....I have some more firewood to cut, the springs to fix my E34 arrive tomorrow, and there is a large roll-off dumpster in my yard. It is TIME TO CLEAN UP!

The g-shock would pass all those torture with flying color and ask for more... =)

I would be interested if someone would actually do nasty and torturin' hard work with automatic and see how it keep time and so on hehe..

Savagely Average
    Quote Originally Posted by Iyonk View Post
    The g-shock would pass all those torture with flying color and ask for more... =)

I would be interested if someone would actually do nasty and torturin' hard work with automatic and see how it keep time and so on hehe..
    I do not have any that I am ready to throw away LOL

16. Likes iyonk liked this post