Likes Likes:  49
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What we learnt from 2014

What we learnt from 2014

I started accumulating watches about 15 months ago; by the middle of the year I discovered I had more than I was comfortable with, that I have to keep to single figures. I got rid of a couple and stopped buying just anything that caught my eye.

Instead I learnt how to let desires slowly focus themselves, how to let them test themselves against time and competition from other things I might want. I got my last watch in mid-September and now have another on the way, and I have been consistently happy with my collection for about six months, usually wearing each watch for a few days at a time
    Last edited by Der Amf; Dec 31, 2014 at 06:13 PM. Reason: tpyo

2. Likes hayday, popoki nui, CFR, -JP liked this post
    This was my 2013, minus the selling because I only pretend bought all the watches that caught my eye.

-hayday
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

4. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    It taught me that you can, *as good as*, give up something (the buying of at least I'm talking !), only to be tempted back into it at a moment's notice.

But I picked up two , three .... oh shit FOUR watches I really like, so it's all good.

(And no, IWL wasn't the reason, I just got the urge again shortly before IWL came into being)

6. Likes popoki nui, CFR liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post

(And no, IWL wasn't the reason, I just got the urge again shortly before IWL came into being)
    I can vouch for the veracity of this claim

8. Likes Perseus liked this post
    Become one with the watch and learn to enjoy more than just the hunt.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

10. Likes Der Amf, hayday, -JP, Perseus liked this post
    Watches you could only dream about (40 years ago) can be yours one day, eventually... (Omega Speedmaster Mk II and Omega flightmaster, in my case). And you still like them.
    Stubbornness at its best!

12. Likes hayday liked this post
    There's a direct relationship between forum activity, especially research driven activity, and watch purchases.

I bought about three watches between getting bored with WUS and Jeannie letting me know that this place was kicking off. Suddenly in the last couple of months I have a couple of watches, a couple of pocket watches and a slightly increasing number of aircraft clocks. Thanks IWL.

14. Likes Bwana, -JP, man of kent, KingK liked this post
    Not sure exactly what I learned, but it's all laid out in my other thread. I did learn that I like having different watches to wear. Not exactly an earth shaker. But, although an examination of what I've bought might indicate that I am all over the place, I think there is a common thread. Mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    and a slightly increasing number of aircraft clocks. Thanks IWL.
    I learnt I still want a MIG/Chs clock , dunno why , but I do think they're cool.

That's 'cause they ARE cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Likes Seriously, OhDark30 liked this post