Likes Likes:  80
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The FUN of selfmade straps... (behind the wrist shot)

@ OP: guess I said i before, but I'll say it again: wish I had half of your skills!

Well done, Iyonk!

2. Likes iyonk liked this post
    Very nice and I'll bet it is indeed fun to make something of that quality on your own. Good job.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

4. Likes iyonk liked this post
    thank you for your encouragement and kind word every body!!! I appreciate it a lot...

I still appreciate aftermarket leather strap very much... there's a different feel when wearing a self made... you know the feel when you enjoy something that you made your own =)

I do wish i could improve my result, got better tools and better material... right now i enjoy them as they are.. =D

Have a greatday everybody!

6. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    Just for completeness, you should punch a row of buckle holes instead of just the one (for you)

They'll look like you bought them then

I didn't notice the 1st time I saw the pic.

8. Likes iyonk liked this post
    Wow those look great. I just tried my hand at making my own. And it turned out... Not so great. Hahah oh well just have to practice more i guess. And learn how to saddle stitch too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current and Collection:
    Rolex Submariner No-Date Ceramic, Rolex GMT Master II Ceramic, Rolex Datejust, Rolex Datejust II, Rolex Milgauss ZBlue, Omega Speedmaster Pro, Tudor Hydonaut, Tudor Blackbay, Tudor Pelagos

10. Likes iyonk liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Wow those look great. I just tried my hand at making my own. And it turned out... Not so great. Hahah oh well just have to practice more i guess. And learn how to saddle stitch too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pics!
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

12. Likes iyonk liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iyonk View Post
    ps:any of you that also have some selfmade straps, please feel free to share here..
    Don't have too many pictures on my iPad but here is a few I made. Really want to make time for others one of these days.

Full pearl stingray. Those center pearls are nearly I possible to punch. Wrecked two bits to do it! Never seen a full pearl strap before so when I saw the hide at Tandy I had to give it a try.
    Name:  30919-chase-albums-chase-misc-picture49249-image.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  68.4 KB

Yellow Ostrich leg for Helson. Nice stuff to work with, little tricky with the larger "scales" though. They want to open up all the time. Have to be very selective which part of the hide you are using.
    Name:  30919-chase-albums-chase-misc-picture49425-image.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  68.7 KB

Grey Deer hide. So soft it's nearly impossible to get the stitching to not pull around. Feels great on the wrist though! Looks like the strap is crooked but it was cut straight, it's just so soft it moves around like it has a life of its own. The hide literally melts when you try to burnish the edges. Sill, left an interesting look though.
    Name:  30919-chase-albums-chase-misc-picture49674-image.jpg
Size:  55.1 KB

Dark greyish brown with navy blue stitching for the THC Blue. Picture dark sorry. Very nice and supple strap to wear. Sold the watch not don't have anything with blue to wear it on.
    Name:  30919-chase-albums-chase-misc-picture48346-image.jpg
Size:  50.6 KB

As as you can see I like trying things that are different from the norm. to me that's a big part of what the craft is all about. I'll try and dig up some more pictures later, or better yet some new straps!
    Last edited by Chase; Jan 2, 2015 at 04:56 PM.

14. Likes CFR, geoffbot, synequano, iyonk, JAGtime, DM71 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    @ OP: guess I said i before, but I'll say it again: wish I had half of your skills!

Well done, Iyonk!

and I wish I had lovely watches like your collections hehehe... with gorgeous watches like yours, who would need selfmade straps? =D

Thanks CFR!

16. Likes CFR, Seriously liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase View Post
    Don't have too many pictures on my iPad but here is a few I made. Really want to make time for others one of these days.

Full pearl stingray. Those center pearls are nearly I possible to punch. Wrecked two bits to do it! Never seen a full pearl strap before so when I saw the hide at Tandy I had to give it a try.
    Name:  30919-chase-albums-chase-misc-picture49249-image.jpg
Size:  68.4 KB

Yellow Ostrich leg for Helson. Nice stuff to work with, little tricky with the larger "scales" though. They want to open up all the time. Have to be very selective which part of the hide you are using.
    Name:  30919-chase-albums-chase-misc-picture49425-image.jpg
Size:  68.7 KB

Grey Deer hide. So soft it's nearly impossible to get the stitching to not pull around. Feels great on the wrist though! Looks like the strap is crooked but it was cut straight, it's just so soft it moves around like it has a life of its own. The hide literally melts when you try to burnish the edges. Sill, left an interesting look though.
    Name:  30919-chase-albums-chase-misc-picture49674-image.jpg
Size:  55.1 KB

Dark greyish brown with navy blue stitching for the THC Blue. Picture dark sorry. Very nice and supple strap to wear. Sold the watch not don't have anything with blue to wear it on.
    Name:  30919-chase-albums-chase-misc-picture48346-image.jpg
Size:  50.6 KB

As as you can see I like trying things that are different from the norm. to me that's a big part of what the craft is all about. I'll try and dig up some more pictures later, or better yet some new straps!
    Wow!!! excellent work and result chase!

thanks a lot for sharing!

Wow....so many talented people here! Here's the only strap I've ever made, a one-piece slip-though Velcro diver's style strap that I made for a Canada Day celebration a few years ago. I moved the watch along to a new owner, but the strap is around here in a drawer somewhere....

~Sherry.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

19. Likes Chase, Chronopolitano, iyonk, DM71 liked this post