Likes Likes:  36
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A SECURITY/PERSONAL PRIVACY ??

Hybrid View

A SECURITY/PERSONAL PRIVACY ??

A rather strange E-mail arrived today.....Sears asked me to grade my experience in the store on Dec.31,2014.
    Now, the part that has me concerned is that I was in the store for less than five minutes,made no purchase, spoke to no one!
    Are they recording license plate numbers, facial recognition software, reading credit cards in my wallet? Does anyone know, how they knew I was in the store?
    This is a little unsettling to me, being tracked by stores like this!!

A more plausible idea would be: you've browsed their site recently?, you have had contact with them before? , or you have malware on board and/or it's co-incidental spam.

reading credit cards in my wallet?
    Yeah that'll be it

3. Likes bolaberlim liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    A more plausible idea would be: you've browsed their site recently?, you have had contact with them before? , or you have malware on board and/or it's co-incidental spam.

Yeah that'll be it
    No, not browsed their site...It says in the store! I know the tech. exists to read your credit card when you enter a store, but I didn't know
    they were doing it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Big Feather View Post
    I know the tech. exists to read your credit card when you enter a store, but I didn't know
    they were doing it yet.
    Near field: yes , you'd have to be pretty close to the sensor (Practical working distance of about 4cms afaik, but could be pushed), then the credit card card company would have to be giving out your email address on demand, or have it stored on the smart cards.
    Have you got any smart cards?

(Not trying to disprove your theory, just trying to work out an answer )

Near field: yes , you'd have to be pretty close to the sensor (Practical working distance of about 4cms afaik, but could be pushed), then the credit card card company would have to be giving out your email address on demand, or have it stored on the smart cards.
    Have you got any smart cards?

(Not trying to disprove your theory, just trying to work out an answer )
    No smart card, not sure what one is.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Big Feather View Post
    No smart card, not sure what one is.
    One of the new contactless (payment) cards that utilise NFC (near field communication).

If you haven't got one, it wasn't that.

Yeah that'll be it
    It has been done and shown on tv that if you have the touch to pay version they can be read from 3-4 metres away.

9. Likes Seriously, Der Amf liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Ask them how they know you were there.

Jeannie

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannie View Post
    Ask them how they know you were there.

Jeannie
    I plan on it, was hoping to get feedback from others, I don't know if I'll get an honest answer from them.

Might it be GPS on your phone plus your, say, Google account if you use Chrome for Android?

13. Likes Mediocre liked this post