Likes Likes:  36
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: A SECURITY/PERSONAL PRIVACY ??

Quote Originally Posted by Little Big Feather View Post
    I had to change cards after the Target breach....I have a max. of $500.00 a day allowed on my Debit and bank notification if maxed two in a row days,
    You've just told the internet how to slide in under the radar on your cards..

Hope you're managing to keep sane sorting out a load of unwanted hassle

Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    You've just told the internet how to slide in under the radar on your cards..

Hope you're managing to keep sane sorting out a load of unwanted hassle

I'm sooooo stupid...

3. Likes Seriously liked this post
    There's a very popular free credit check site in the US that alerted me when I bought a car. I was very surprised. You can't beat free.

5. Likes Little Big Feather, T Bone liked this post
    Traveled to the distant city, talked with police.....Seems that the crime was committed against Sears, not me!
    You see, the police in America is not here to stop crime.....No, just apprehend and arrest those who commit the crime, which was against Sears.
    They will give me no info.(at this time), I guess it is a "wait and see" game. Changing all cards tomorrow.(notified them all Friday)

7. Likes Seriously, Rob liked this post
    Traveled to the distant city, talked with police.....Seems that the crime was committed against Sears, not me!
    You see, the police in America is not here to stop crime.....No, just apprehend and arrest those who commit the crime, which was against Sears.
    They will give me no info.(at this time), I guess it is a "wait and see" game. Changing all cards tomorrow.(notified them all Friday)
    Yes, you were not harmed (yeah, right! Tell that to anyone who's been a victim of identity theft and had it impact their lives, ALWAYS a negative)..

I'd suggest going a bit further towards proactive. First, as mentioned, there is a free credit report service in the USA. Also, all credit bureaus in the USA are required by law to give you one free report per year. I'd pull those now from the 3 major bureaus to see if any other new accounts may have been opened that you didn't do (and have not yet been brought to your attention), This is important ASAP as NOW is the time to stop them (rather than later).

Again, there are also services that will keep you updated on any activity in your credit profile (someone pulls your report, as in when a new account is applied for), they notify you. Inexpensive and well worth the 5 bucks or so per month especially when you already know for certain you've been targeted.

Last, again there is identity theft insurance. People like Life lock sell it, and I've heard good things about them and their work (I think they cost around $50/yr.?)

PS. Might want to check out a movie called Identity Thief. Rented it from Red Box recently. Stars Jason Bateman and Melissa McCarthy, quite funny plus it can give you some insight into how seriously this crime (which "wasn't committed against you"~ yeah, right?) can affect your life and how easy it is for some to do.

Horrible thing really. I hope your bout is done, and it affects you no more. But I'd take actions to ensure that is the case!
    Last edited by T Bone; Jan 5, 2015 at 11:30 PM.
    Regards, T Bone

Even a broken watch shows correct time once or twice a day. I ought to know, I have a few!

9. Likes Little Big Feather liked this post
    Corporations are people, dawg.

3 words: Mandatory Photo ID, We cannot apply to anything without it, and only the government issues it, and they keep your fingerprints on file to make sure it's you. Those finger prints are not accessible to law enforcement they are for ID purposes only.

12. Likes Little Big Feather liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by bolaberlim View Post
    3 words: Mandatory Photo ID, We cannot apply to anything without it, and only the government issues it, and they keep your fingerprints on file to make sure it's you. Those finger prints are not accessible to law enforcement they are for ID purposes only.
    This is a very good idea.....They will not do it here, criminals have rights to commit crime in America.
    And, most importantly, it makes way too much sense.