Likes Likes:  40
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Have we seen the last of the 'iconic' watches?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolitano View Post
    I still find it laughable that The Doors (Jim Morrison) or Bob Dylan is considered "iconic," despite the fact that they have no value when judged strictly for their music. Why are they even up there with names like Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, etc?
    I've been on watch forums for going on seven years now (on-and-off of different forums, with periods of inactivity). The above statement is probably the most absurd thing I've read on one. Particularly in reference to Bob Dylan.

2. Likes pepperami, N/A, timekeeper, Lexvil liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayseed Brown View Post
    I've been on watch forums for going on seven years now (on-and-off of different forums, with periods of inactivity). The above statement is probably the most absurd thing I've read on one. Particularly in reference to Bob Dylan.
    I'll take it!!

4. Likes Bwana liked this post
    Sigh

Sent from my GT-I9505

akasnowmaaan
    Yeah, us predicting what future people will think are 'iconic' is futile.

You know what proves what will stand the test of time? Time.

7. Likes jsw41 liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolitano View Post
    I'll take it!!
    Haha. In retrospect, you probably hold a few spots on that "most absurd" list.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayseed Brown View Post
    Haha. In retrospect, you probably hold a few spots on that "most absurd" list.
    I assure you, I hold many spots of honor on all "MOST x" lists.

Quote Originally Posted by akasnowmaaan View Post
    Yeah, us predicting what future people will think are 'iconic' is futile.

You know what proves what will stand the test of time? Time.
    Perhaps, but that doesn't mean you can't make educated guesses as to what the future might look like.

Iconic to us, or iconic in the larger cultural sense? The two differ in my opinion. For example, the Movado Museum watch is more iconic to the larger culture than something we WIS typically adore, like an Omega Speedmaster.

12. Likes Little Big Feather, timekeeper liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase View Post
    My guy at the AD tells me he hears all the time from customers that the Pelagos is what the Sub should have evolved into.
    But yet, the Sub never has evolved.
    OWN
    Marathon JSAR G-Shock GW-530A, GA-100-1A1, G-9300-1 Mudman
    Seiko SKX007K2 Swatch High Wonder Maratac Large Pilot 2013 Russian AChS-1 panel clock
    Post first, edit for clarity later.

Sub is a bit like Porsche 911,there's tweak here and there but the silhouette remains the same (stays true to the basics,kinda like Panerai as well)

Anyway,since Rolex sub is 911,Tudor Pelagos is more like a Cayman as it is more affordable yet still has that 911ish vibe (and according to some,more fun to drive,but let's leave that to the car forums) initially I wanted to say pelagos is like Porsche 959,but I'm afraid the Rolex fanboys will chase me with their pitchcrown LOL (the edge of their pitchfork is Rolex's crown...)

As for the iconic watch,I think Seiko's shrouded divers might become an iconic dive watch as its monocoque construction allows for 1000m WR without HRV (yes I know it's not the latest design,but the possibilities of further development are infinite)

Another watch that might become iconic in the future,I think,will be RM with their tonneau (???) shaped case,but I think only the selected few will able to enjoy the product from this brand due to the extremely high price