Likes Likes:  10
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Took my son fishing for New Years! a few pics

  1. #1
    Member timekeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Altanta, Ga USA
    Posts
    310

    Took my son fishing for New Years! a few pics

    IMG_3254.jpgIMG_3304.jpgIMG_3322.jpgIMG_3276.jpgCaught a bunch of red snapper but, had to release as out of season. The gaff was gently through the gills for photo op. Fort Morgan Alabama. Oh yeah, I was sporting the DSSD!
    Omega Speedmaster Ed White

    Omega PO Chrono 45
    Rolex DSSD
    Seiko Pogue gold
    Deep Blue diver
    Zodiac oceanaire
    many Citizen and Seiko from the years.

  2. #2
    Super Member Raza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    19,342
    Blog Entries
    5
    Man, looks delicious! The fish, not your son.

    Must be pretty cool to live in a place where you can be on the water on New Year's Eve. What was the weather like?

    As far as the catch and release thing goes, how would they ever know if you kept a fish that's out of season? What if you don't know the rules of what's in season and what isn't? I've always wondered how catch and release worked.

  3. Likes geoffbot, Nokie liked this post
  4. #3
    bighead
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    160
    When boats return to the docks, the dept of fish and game can be waiting. They have the right to open coolers and search the boat. Check licenses, registration, etc. CA has a lot. Don't break the rules and you won't have an issue.

    Personally, I've done most of my fishing in Mexico. Sea of Cortez to be exact. Yellowtail, dorado, tuna, sailfish, grouper, etc. Nice to see some great shots. My boys are always eager to go. But Mexico days are all but gone. Too many issues. Now it's just Catalina Island the other So Cal spots.

    Mike

  5. Likes Rob liked this post
  6. #4
    El bot. geoffbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    West Sussex, UK
    Posts
    18,665
    Ah - that's awesome - I love the lume on that model

    I kid, well, I do like the lume, but a father/son fishing trip sounds like a lot of fun. The son a budding WIS?
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

  7. #5
    Member timekeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Altanta, Ga USA
    Posts
    310
    They call that fillet and release! not this trip. Don't want to teach the wrong things and we were only a few miles from shore. Marine patrol will take your boat and fine the hell out of you. It has been done in the past though and most locals still practice that as well.
    The weather was in the 60's lots of wind. We were there a week and found a day to get out but caught close to 100 red snapper!

    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Man, looks delicious! The fish, not your son.

    Must be pretty cool to live in a place where you can be on the water on New Year's Eve. What was the weather like?

    As far as the catch and release thing goes, how would they ever know if you kept a fish that's out of season? What if you don't know the rules of what's in season and what isn't? I've always wondered how catch and release worked.
    Omega Speedmaster Ed White

    Omega PO Chrono 45
    Rolex DSSD
    Seiko Pogue gold
    Deep Blue diver
    Zodiac oceanaire
    many Citizen and Seiko from the years.

  8. #6
    Member timekeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Altanta, Ga USA
    Posts
    310
    I hope he will warm up to WIS. He does have a nice little collection of divers.

    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Ah - that's awesome - I love the lume on that model

    I kid, well, I do like the lume, but a father/son fishing trip sounds like a lot of fun. The son a budding WIS?
    Omega Speedmaster Ed White

    Omega PO Chrono 45
    Rolex DSSD
    Seiko Pogue gold
    Deep Blue diver
    Zodiac oceanaire
    many Citizen and Seiko from the years.

  9. #7
    The Dude Abides Nokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    3,516
    Looks like someone is going to be eating very well for a while. Nice.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

  10. #8
    Super Member Raza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    19,342
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by timekeeper View Post
    They call that fillet and release! not this trip. Don't want to teach the wrong things and we were only a few miles from shore. Marine patrol will take your boat and fine the hell out of you. It has been done in the past though and most locals still practice that as well.
    The weather was in the 60's lots of wind. We were there a week and found a day to get out but caught close to 100 red snapper!
    Ah, cool. I wasn't endorsing keeping the fish, just wondering what controls are in place to prevent people from doing it.

    That's nice weather and a lot of red snapper.

  11. #9
    Undistinguished
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Memphis Area
    Posts
    802
    Awesome New Years event, great catches too!!! We love Fort Morgan, great area for the family!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About Us
We are an independent and wide-ranging forum for watch enthusiasts. From mainspring to microchip, from Europe to Asia, from micro-brand to boutique - we cover it all. Novice or expert, we want you to feel at home. Whether it's asking a simple question or contributing to the fund of horological knowledge, it's all the same hobby. Or, if you like, you can just show us a picture of your new watch. We'll provide the welcoming and courteous environment, the rest is up to you!
Join us