Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Accurist

Old Accurist

This, some of you may remember, is my Accurist 32900.

Not a particularly valuable or desirable piece but it was my 18th birthday present from my folks

It does have some pretty funky features it's a full chrono top right does 10ths bottom does minutes and top left hours.
    The second hand becomes the stopwatch seconds.

It has a counter function, the tents diall can be used as a counter when in watch mode

It has a speed set function, you twist the crown a tiny amount and the hands start spinning automatically. Another nudge stops them.

Anyhow, I digress over the years it's picked up some knocks and scrapes, and I'd like to have it restored.

Firstly, years ago before I knew anything about watches I took it to Samuels for a battery.
    I went to pick it up to find the sales assistant attacking the crown with pliers, she couldn't understand the quick set function thought it was broken.
    This has left the crown bent and a pig to turn.

The crystal succumbed to scratching and I'll abuse so at the moment it wears a crappy plastic thing to temp do the job

These things I am confident I can fix myself, but I need help sorting the case

It's worn through to base metal and I'd really like it replated.

Any ideas who could do the job?

It's not worth a lot so I'm not looking to spend a massive amount restoring it

Maybe find a good local watchmaker / repairperson to show it some love with proper tools. I think it will polish up nice.
    Omega Speedmaster Ed White

Omega PO Chrono 45
    Rolex DSSD
    Seiko Pogue gold
    Deep Blue diver
    Zodiac oceanaire
    many Citizen and Seiko from the years.

Dont think it will be that cheap to restore.
    I once witnessed an assistant try to hammer a snap back into place

I hope you do find a way to restore it. I'm quite partial to 90's Accurist watches.

Mine says get well soon

4. Likes Kevinw, is that my watch liked this post
    This is a bit vague so sorry in advance.... I've got the impression while trying to find things out for myself that people who do things like replating and dial work etc tend not to bother interacting direct with the public and get all their work via watchmakers.

Even more vague (because I've forgotten the number): a watchmaker I asked said replating a gold watch was somewhere around fifty quid.

I suppose the watchmaker takes the watch apart and only sends the case to the replater (or similarly just the dial to the dial restorer)

6. Likes Kevinw liked this post
    It looks like it would be worth the effort, IMHO, to see what it would take to get it restored. Nice looking watch for sure.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinw View Post
    It's worn through to base metal and I'd really like it re-plated. - Any ideas who could do the job?
    A watchmaker and a plating company.

Strip it down to it's bones , remove the pushers etc and glass.. strip the original plating, re-plate and reassemble... it's a lot of work.
    Costs come down dramatically for watch companies when they're doing a 1000 or so... but for a one-off....

It's not worth a lot so I'm not looking to spend a massive amount restoring it
    Depends on your definition of 'not a massive amount' , but I think it's just not gonna happen then.
    Last edited by Seriously; Jan 7, 2015 at 10:10 PM.

By not spending a lot I meant less than £100

just wondering if any one had thought of going down the look on the bay for one that the same but has a case in great shape but none working and do a swap out or would that be cheating ?
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

That'd work, but these things are like rocking horse droppings.

Haven't found another anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinw View Post
    That'd work, but these things are like rocking horse droppings.

Haven't found another anywhere
    the lads was talking a while back about bead blasting and can't remember what the prices was but it seem quite reasonable so you could get it bead blasted and end up with something really cool and a one off it's was a place in Germany thinking it just sub £50 I think ?
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1