Likes Likes:  45
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hats anyone?

I enjoy my hats. As fits the occasion. Here, at a ranch.

Name:  xIMG_1153_003.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  29.8 KB

2. Likes Bwana liked this post
    Anything in a baseball cap.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    As a younger guy a few of my friends collect baseball caps. Apparently its a pretty big thing and apparently you cant remove the sticker or it loses its value? Or the sticker tells you where the hat is from? I thought they were all just made in china haha.
    When we all go on trips i see them put hats in specific hard carrying cases to they retain their shape. I judge them silently, as i slip my waterproof and shockproof pelican case of watches into my bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lol! Yeah, I never got the sticker thing. First thing I did on my new Detroit Tiger Baseball Cap (official, field wear approved) was remove that stupid blingy sticker, I see guys at work (breaks etc.) all the time wearing them with, all I can do is ask myself why?

On baldness, not there yet (most always had a full head of long hair, very thick in my youth). But I have been wearing hard hats at work for the majority of the last 17 years now, and have often wondered if my now thinning hair was more age or hat related.

On wearing a hat and looking odd, part of it is the right type/shape/style and fit of the hat. Much more actually is the attitude/confidence one wears the hat with. In hat circles (like the hat section on "The Fedora Lounge"), we refer to it as "wearing the hat rather than the hat wearing you". This is sometimes a cultivated thing (early on anyway) and can be developed by wearing the hat around for hours in the privacy of your own home and getting used to/comfortable with the hat.

Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post

I always think I look a **** in a hat (hey that rhymes ), I wish I could wear one.

Pics? I have a few.... (remember, you asked for it ). Here is are couple of favorite summer hats, a tan (Tawny Fawn) Akubra Capricorn (from Australia) and a grey (Caribou) Stratoliner from Stetson. Both classified as straw, they are both synthetic straws (polypropylene) and wear well in Summer- rain and perspiration resistant, and breathable.

Vintage brown fur felt Stetson Stratoliner (Stetson Strats are one of my favorite hats, I have a few vintage and a couple modern ones).

And another vintage Stratoliner... (actually, this may be of the modern "Premiere Stratoliner" that comes open crowned, I'd have to examine a bit closer to remember which it is!)

Stetson "Nostalgia" (a modern hat that was only available for 3 years- sold open crown as many of my favorites are, gives us the opportunity to "bash" or style the crown to our own liking). Hats nearly always came this way back in the day, and were either bashed by the Hatter for the Customer, or by the Customer themselves.

Basque Beret from Spain, from Boinas Elósegui, this one is a rather large diameter at 12.25 inches.

Another of many vintage Stetson Fedoras...

Linen flat cap (8 panel, Gatsby, Newsboy- these go by lots of names) from the "Hat People" in Oregon.

I have lots more (too many- they are way cheaper than watches Lol!). But I think you get the idea .
    Last edited by T Bone; Jan 6, 2015 at 12:52 AM.
    Regards, T Bone

Even a broken watch shows correct time once or twice a day. I ought to know, I have a few!

1 & 5 suit you (I think) , no comment for the others

Don't call hats a hobby of mine - au contraire. But with loss of natural head-coverage, a necessity
    Got this hat some 14 years ago and as far as hats go, I really like it.
    Also showing the TX state-flower, Paulien and yours truly

Name:  090322_WoB_Ron_Paulien_3m.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  110.2 KB

And for those who are really paying attention: wearing my Omega Speedmaster Professional on OEM leather with vintage Omega tang-buckle
    Last edited by MHe225; Jan 6, 2015 at 01:00 AM.
    IWL member 90

T Bone, I like them all....style, it's all about style

8. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by MHe225 View Post
    Don't call hats a hobby of mine - au contraire. But with loss of natural head-coverage, a necessity
    Got this hat some 14 years ago and as far as hats go, I really like it.
    Also showing the TX state-flower, Paulien and yours truly

Name:  090322_WoB_Ron_Paulien_3m.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  110.2 KB
    Great picture, Jack Russel ?...oh, your watch flipped backwards on your wrist(Omega ?).

Blog Entries
    Wow, T-Bone, I was just making myself a coffee and about to log on here, and I thought to myself; "I'm surprised nobody's started a hat thread yet." Man, I lead an exciting life, don't I?

Anyway, I bought myself a Stetson San Juan fedora sometime in the late 1980s and I rarely wore it. I felt a little too self-conscious about it back in my shy 20s. I also had (and still have) a Burberry trench-coat and I was always wary of wearing the two items together. On one of the few occasions when I did, a bunch of school-girls yelled out "Inspector Gadget!"

Then I hit my 40s and my hair started going South, so I busted the fedora out of its box and began wearing it to keep my head warm. Again, I wore it with the trench-coat and one of the staff at my regular coffee haunt in the city said; "You look like a detective working on a case."
    Of course, by now I was in my smart-assy forties, so I said; "I am working on a case...of Jack Daniel's."

Bought another fedora about six or seven years ago and I'm thinking of getting one more this coming winter, but with a narrower brim. Here's the Stetson in a poorly-lit photo with the Burberry;

I rarely wear it these days because the leather trim inside has shrunk a little and it always leaves a crease on my forehead after wearing it. Which is a shame because my hat guy says it's now a rare hat.

The newer one is a Huckel in green rabbit felt. Here it is in a homage to that scene in "The Big Sleep" where Marlowe goes to Gieger's Antiquarian Bookstore. I flipped up the front of the brim to mimic the way Bogart wore it in that scene;

Finally, here I am wearing it, shortly after getting home from work where we'd had a particularly nasty staff meeting that day. And all I had was Slate Bourbon;

The long version of my hat life is here; http://teeritz.blogspot.com.au/2013/...ventually.html

Regarding the death of hat-wearing, I've read that it was due to JFK not wearing hats that caused men to stop wearing them, but I think it was a Baby Boomer generational thing.

teeritz

(IWL Member No. 72)
    My other distractions ---> http://www.teeritz.blogspot.com.au

11. Likes geoffbot liked this post
    PICS?

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    Just occurred I've not seen this discussed here. One of my other hobbies is hats. Started wearing and collecting them somewhere around 4-5 years ago. I do fedoras, newsboys, berets, whatever. I have both new and vintage (quite a few of each), several brands but heavily weighted towards Stetson. Probably around 40 in all, with vintages starting in the 1940s or so, many from the 1950s.

Back a few decades, it was rare for a man to leave home without his hat. This changed slowly, but seemed to nearly reverse sometime in the late 1960s. So do any of you regularly wear or collect hats? If so, what brand/style/type do you prefer?
    Omega Speedmaster Ed White

Omega PO Chrono 45
    Rolex DSSD
    Seiko Pogue gold
    Deep Blue diver
    Zodiac oceanaire
    many Citizen and Seiko from the years.

Quote Originally Posted by timekeeper View Post
    PICS?
    Post #13