Likes Likes:  112
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Photos of your watches in water (literally)

Quote Originally Posted by popoki nui View Post
    ...etc. .
    You've got way too many underwater shots to hand milady , do you live underwater ?

2. Likes popoki nui, Der Amf, JAGtime liked this post
    Just out of his bath. Does that count?

My gorgeous SWI.

"There's people makin' babies to my music, that's nice!" Barry White

4. Likes Henry Krinkle, JAGtime, OrangeSport liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    My next thread will be entitled 100m WR: What Is It Actually Good For?

Well for starters it has nothing to do with meter, but with pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidle View Post
    Well for starters it has nothing to do with meter, but with pressure.
    100m or 10atm, makes no difference to the question

Quote Originally Posted by TheMaestro View Post
    Just out of his bath. Does that count?

My gorgeous SWI.

No, too easily faked

Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    You've got way too many underwater shots to hand milady , do you live underwater ?
    LOL. Almost! What can I say...I love the water. Swim, surf, boogieboard, snorkel, kayak....almost year-round here. Gotta have watches (and a camera) that will keep up to my liquid adventures.

~Sherry.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

9. Likes Seriously, Bwana, JAGtime, Chase, DM71 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    100m or 10atm, makes no difference to the question
    It does!!

If you move your watch at 30m depth you generate a lot more pressure than 3atm!
    The same applies, for instance, when jumping into the water. Therefore I only dive with 20atm watches.

Than again I took, for fun, a Swatch (3atm) with me on a deep-dive and it survived flawlessly.

Also there is a clear guideline for what you can do with a watch, but there is already a lot written about it. Here just one useful link for you:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_Resistant_mark

Quote Originally Posted by Bidle View Post
    If you move your watch at 30m depth it is getting a lot more pressure than 3atm!
    Not really "a lot more"

Movement induced dynamic pressure increase is sometimes the subject of urban myths and marketing arguments for diver's watches with high water resistance ratings. When a diver makes a fast swimming movement of 10 m/s (32.8 ft/s) (the best competitive swimmers and finswimmers do not move their hands nor swim that fast[1]) physics dictates that the diver generates a dynamic pressure of 50 kPa or the equivalent of 5 metres of additional water depth.[2]

Still, you better watch out for depth charges in the area

Last edited by Matt; Jan 5, 2015 at 11:01 PM.

13. Likes popoki nui, OrangeSport, DM71 liked this post
    You're missing my point (which isn't a desperately serious one, so no worries) As you say yourself, you only go swimming with a 200m watch, so my question remains: what is 100m WR good for?