Likes Likes:  45
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Music Thread

Blog Entries

The Music Thread

Everybody has their flavor. Not sure if I'm aware of anything more universal than music. This is who I'm listening to today:

2. Likes M. Montaigne liked this post
    Lately, I've been listening to mostly Neko Case for pleasure and the new Pixies album to remind myself that sometimes enough IS enough.

4. Likes Yankeexpress liked this post
    Blog Entries
    I've had an inability to listen to anything but Run the Jewels 2 since it came out. It's pretty aggressive rap music, but if you appreciate it, it's really, really fantastic. If you just take the lyrics, I think the song "Early" is something that anyone can listen to and appreciate, as well as the song "Crown". Really some beautiful and poignant sentiments in these songs. And Zack De la Rocha guests on one of the tracks, and he's awesome, of course.

Blog Entries
    Right now I'm listening to ELO's "Eldorado" on Spotify. It's been 40 years since it came out. ELO was a huge group in Quebec in 1974.

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

7. Likes pepperami, Yankeexpress liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RayMac View Post
    Right now I'm listening to ELO's "Eldorado" on Spotify. It's been 40 years since it came out. ELO was a huge group in Quebec in 1974.
    When I suggested that smiley, I was thinking of you.

9. Likes RayMac liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    I've had an inability to listen to anything but Run the Jewels 2 since it came out. It's pretty aggressive rap music, but if you appreciate it, it's really, really fantastic. If you just take the lyrics, I think the song "Early" is something that anyone can listen to and appreciate, as well as the song "Crown". Really some beautiful and poignant sentiments in these songs. And Zack De la Rocha guests on one of the tracks, and he's awesome, of course.
    I wouldn't have guessed you for a rap fan. Listened to a couple of their songs. Not bad. Of course we rarely live up to expectations. I was born in the american midwest and presently listening to this:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
    I wouldn't have guessed you for a rap fan. Listened to a couple of their songs. Not bad. Of course we rarely live up to expectations. I was born in the american midwest and presently listening to this:
    I listen to almost anything. I started listening to rap probably in the mid to late 90s, after grunge music ended and mainstream rock started to suck. After mainstream rap started to suck, I went deep into the underground and found rappers like Aesop Rock, Atmosphere, Cannibal Ox (one half of CO is one half of Run the Jewels), Jedi Mind Tricks, Immortal Technique, Non-Phixion, et al. We went through a tumultuous political era in the country without Rage Against the Machine, and underground rappers tapped into that turmoil and put out really incisive music in their stead.

I love rap, play guitar, love rock music, listen to trip hop (I love my Portishead and Massive Attack), lay on my floor drinking and listening to Johnny Cash, throw on Lizzy Grant (or as the world knows her now, Lana Del Rey), I use to sit at my desk listening to Kind of Blue by Miles Davis. I have a hard time finding a genre of music that I don't listen to.

12. Likes Spooky liked this post
    Blog Entries
    I also started to love this song when I was in Romania:

Anyone heard this?

These guys have covered all sorts of stuff- Ozzy Osborne, Metallica etc -in a bluegrass style. Love it.

(I realise that there's a good chance they're pretty well-known in the States but they were new on me).
    Last edited by GaryF; Nov 16, 2014 at 06:55 PM.

15. Likes OTGabe, Ryan liked this post
    For the first time in my life in listening to country music. I heard a couple of Johnny Cash and Waylon Jennings songs that really struck a chord. Now I'm listening to some old Charlie Daniels and Willie Nelson.

I go through phases. It'll be Paul Van Dyk or some random electronica tomorrow. Could even turn all Ratt/Def Leppard crazy or something.

17. Likes gnuyork liked this post