Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 8.1

Blog Entries

Windows 8.1

You know what - I think I can live with it.
    My new notebook came with windows 8.1 and the usual load of bloatware that Lenovo puts on it. Fortunately most of that crap is now in the form of Modern apps and located on the Start Screen.
    I installed a program called Classic Shell which banishes the Start Screen forever and goes right to the desktop when you boot the computer. You can even put back the familiar Windows 7 Start button and Menu. Then I uninstalled all the crapware to be sure.
    So now Windows 8.1 is a faster booting Windows 7 as far as I am concerned. I'm happy.

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

2. Likes Bwana liked this post
    Me too, took a couple of days but I'm good with it now

I've just been forced into starting up my new selfbuild computer (remember the Shuttle DS81)
    I nabbed a copy of completely genuine sealed Windows 7 pro on ebay for not a lot of money last year.

So compared to you guys I'm living in the past.. (I was in the last century with the one that blew up - xp )

I'll stick with 7 for quite a while now I think

I've moved from a 'conventional' computer to a Surface Pro 3 and peripherals. Steep learning curve but I do think that it is ultimately the better way, for my needs.
    It is now my duty to completely drain you.

Windows is up to 8 now? Nice. Probably get a small notebook at some point just to have one.... maybe....

XP. Yeah. Still using that where I have to.....

Blog Entries
    XP. Yeah. Still using that where I have to.....
    Hope you're using XP offline. Scary thought.

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

Blog Entries
    I'll stick with 7 for quite a while now I think
    I have Win 7 on one desktop and LInux Mint 17 on the other. Both are preferable to Windows 8 but you do what you have to do.

9. Likes Seriously liked this post
    No one running a Shuttle is living in the past.

The Shuttle is the PC from the future in a form factor that we'll have to get to the future to see the full relevance of.

In my book it's right up there with the Apple + box and there's not much up there with it.

I'm on 8.1 too and it's OK. Like XP was OK. I'm still waiting for someone to build an OS which is functionally better than System 6.07 on the Mac. Every operating system since then has been like a German girlfriend with OCD: always doing something you don't want them to do in your name and never doing anything you want them to do, usually because they were too busy doing something you didn't want them to,

At least with a neurotic German girlfriend the sex is great and you don't tend to get a virus.

(I'm sure there's a boyfriend equivalent but hey, you know...)
    Last edited by Matt; Jan 6, 2015 at 04:20 PM.

11. Likes Seriously liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by RayMac View Post
    I have Win 7 on one desktop and LInux Mint 17 on the other. Both are preferable to Windows 8 but you do what you have to do.
    Windows 7 on my HP TouchSmart and ubunto on my older dell laptop windows 8 on phone I prefer windows 7 no problems in over 3 years
    Lots of old watches, ex mwc vet -Ceud mile failte , CWC ,,Longines Legend diver ., Omega Geneva & Seamaster 300 GMT, Seiko King Seiko plus,, Tudor black bay 58, Tissot Titanium Chronograph. Seiko miscellaneous.

had to set up a laptop with 8.1 for a friend- all I can say is thank god for apple.
    Regards Cam

Watches
    Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Junghans Max Bill Auto, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1