Likes Likes:  25
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best sugar alternative?

Best sugar alternative?

I think I overdid the festive fare and now I really need to think about consuming less calories for a few weeks. First target for me will be the sugar in my tea and coffee. One step at a time eh! What's the best alternative? I've heard nasty rumours about the stuff they put in various colas.

Quote Originally Posted by man of kent View Post
    I think I overdid the festive fare and now I really need to think about consuming less calories for a few weeks. First target for me will be the sugar in my tea and coffee. One step at a time eh! What's the best alternative? I've heard nasty rumours about the stuff they put in various colas.

I don't like the alternatives, just use 1/2 measures .. and stop drinking alcohol for a month if you do.

Also round it off with lots of exercise.

drink black coffee. Just get used to it. I got there by doing bike trips to europe and just having an espresso option. Now I can't drink anything but black, the flavors are just great (in good black coffee).

Colas and fruit juices, etc. Not great. Get used to water. Or if you like try getting some isotonic 'drops' that are used for sports. Like Nuun or something. It isn't so sweet but has a flavor. Shouldn't have any sugar. Definitely NOT the ones you buy at the supermarket.... (i'm sure a couple are OK but generally they have a lot of fructose).

Splenda (sucralose) is a good alternative, but as others have said, how about just eating less for a couple of months?

Taper down your sugar consumption until it's zero. Eat a fruit and oatmeal or eggs for breakfast, salads for lunch and dinner, and perhaps a protein shake or two. Eat lots of vegetables and fruits, lean meat, and limit the amount of processed foods.

Start being more active, and make sure you hydrate yourself (with water). In a month or so, you'll feel completely different.

5. Likes bolaberlim liked this post
    Blog Entries
    In my view Aspartame (Equal or Nutrasweet) is the best tasting artificial sweetener. There is a lot of garbage on the Internet about how unsafe Aspartame is but c'mon - it is made up of two amino acids your body uses anyway. Aside from problems with folks who have PKU disorder there's never been one shred of evidence that is scientifically reviewed that shows Aspartame is unsafe.
    That said I agree with just cutting back on sugar generally and not substituting anything.

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

7. Likes Nokie liked this post
    Blog Entries
    I like Splenda. It's what I put in my tea and coffee.

9. Likes Nokie liked this post
    Maple Syrup.
    It is now my duty to completely drain you.

11. Likes M. Montaigne liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by RayMac View Post
    In my view Aspartame (Equal or Nutrasweet) is the best tasting artificial sweetener.
    I find Aspartame too sweet, and find that it has a little cloyish/bitter aftertaste.

Now, arguably, this is somewhat of a personal preference, but I find that sucralose is the closest in taste to actual sugar.

Also:

Quote Originally Posted by man of kent View Post
    sugar in my tea and coffee
    Tea, I can maybe understand. Honey and tea makes sense.

But coffee? Coffee should be had black. Espressos and Americanos also black. Cappuccinos are already sweet with the milk.

The only coffee based drink that I would consider adding sugar to is lattes -- a dash of real brown sugar or nothing at all. Otherwise, why would you want to ruin a perfectly good coffee with sugar?

13. Likes CanadianStraps liked this post
    When I was young and stupid I put sugar in my coffee. I remember one day brewing up a pot and came to the realization I had no sugar. I drank it with a splash of cream only, and liked it better than with sugar. Never once looked back. I'm about 50/50 black or with a little cream on a standard cup of coffee, I like both. Always just black with espresso. I never have americanos or lattes.
    It is now my duty to completely drain you.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianStraps View Post
    I never have americanos or lattes.
    When it's really cold and early in the morning, I enjoy a nice Americano, which is pretty much espresso with hot water. I find that it's slightly different than drip coffee, and more drinkable over long periods of time as a warm coffee-ish beverage.

I do not usually drink lattes, but I will confess that the pumpkin spice latte is a guilty pleasure in fall. And salted caramel mochas. Not always, but I do enjoy the occasional latte and mocha. Makes the holiday season more bearable.