Likes Likes:  73
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: On Homages and their nefarious cousins....

Hybrid View

On Homages and their nefarious cousins....

I'm wondering if there is a consensus about the differences between homages, copies and replicas.

To me a Homage is Ok and is one of two things. It is either a watch that purposefully shares design elements with a classic or well known watch or a watch that closely (or possibly even directly) copies a no longer produced classic watch-preferably bu the original manufacturer of that watch.

A copy is a watch that looks exactly the same as a classic watch save the logo and the size (may be bigger or smaller). These do not thrill me as I feel like I am just trying to replicate the classic watch at a lower price.

A replica (or fake) is illegal and has the branding of a manufacturer but is not from them. They suck...

Is this how you guys see it?

Pretty much-love a good homage by the way
    Regards Cam

Watches
    Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Junghans Max Bill Auto, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1

me too. I think it's why I love the Benarus Sea snake so much...its a homage to a no longer produced Breitling.

Quote Originally Posted by CamB View Post
    Pretty much-love a good homage by the way

4. Likes CamB liked this post
    Just not a fan of any. I buy a watch because I appreciate the original design from the company who made it. If I couldn't afford such a watch then I would move on to something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Just not a fan of any. I buy a watch because I appreciate the original design from the company who made it. If I couldn't afford such a watch then I would move on to something else.

This.

Unless, the replica was being made by the original company.

I have bought a few of these, Laco fliegers , one or two Dugena remake's , they are simply copying their own original design .. can't see anything wrong with that.

But otherwise as above: This.
    Last edited by Seriously; Jan 8, 2015 at 09:14 PM.

On Homages and their nefarious cousins....

Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post

This.

Unless,

I have bought a few of these, Laco fliegers , one or two Dugena remake's , they are simply copying their own original design .. can't see anything wrong with that.

Agreed, if it's a heritage-throwback model from their own designed watch, I would gladly purchase.
    Edit as a matter of fact I have done that
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420764785.997020.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  80.4 KB
    Last edited by Dienekes; Jan 8, 2015 at 11:53 PM.

8. Likes Seriously liked this post
    Originally Posted by Dienekes

Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post

This.

Unless, the replica was being made by the original company.

THESE.

As far as "depriving" myself of something, I'm not. Except maybe that awkward moment when you have to explain to someone that the vintage Rolex Explorer II on your wrist is actually a Steinhart blatant copy. At least, *I* would find that awkward.

To each their own, though....
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

My feelings towards watches of any origin depends on the intent.

Homage, copy, whatever; if the purpose is to deceive then it's a no from me.

My dichotomy lies in the examples where the source of parts are related to those that deceive.

11. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    With all due respect, I think you are missing out. Why deprive yourself?
    Regards Cam

Watches
    Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Junghans Max Bill Auto, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1

Quote Originally Posted by CamB View Post
    With all due respect, I think you are missing out. Why deprive yourself?
    I would think just the opposite if I had a homage. I don't knock those that do but they are not for me.