Likes Likes:  73
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: On Homages and their nefarious cousins....

As alluded to but not outright stated, in certain arenas words/phrases develop specific meanings.

There's a lot of talk around what fake, replica, reproduction et al means but it seems to ignore that replica-watch and homage-watch have taken a meaning that isn't the same as what replica and homage means originally.
    Again, in the case of these two, the key aspect is in the intent.

Replica-watch is the dressed up form for fake.
    Homage-watch are those that look like; maybe even replicate every detail but do not deceive in the branding.

You can use those aforementioned terms to describe what the watch is but replica-watch and homage-watch describe more the intent than the thing itself.

A watch can be a homage without being a homage-watch. A homage-watch can be a replica but doesn't take the branding and thus doesn't deceive.
    Last edited by drunken monkey; Jan 10, 2015 at 03:19 PM.

So that would make Donald Trump's hairpiece an homage?

3. Likes Seriously, MarkO, 93EXCivic, mlcor liked this post
    To me a homage is an alternative to buy a model / brand I really like but could never afford.
    I have a clear concious when buying a homage i.e. Steinhart.
    I would never buy a fake.
    "There's people makin' babies to my music, that's nice!" Barry White