Likes Likes:  23
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How are we defining 'vintage'?

How are we defining 'vintage'?

First, I like things to be defined. For instance, I was always taught that something had to be 100 years old to truly be 'antique' (I just confirmed this at the Mirriam-Webster website "according to various customs laws at least 100 years ago").

It appears from the pieces posted in this forum that most people here think watches made in the 1950's or before are vintage. This gives me 2 - my Grandad's 1945-6 Omega bumper and my recently-acquired 1953 Ebel Cal 119 (although Rick Denney has suggested this actually dates from the 1960's). But I have incoming a watch from the 1980s - the famed El Primero Ebel - but should I be posting that here? All of which this raises the interesting question, how are we defining 'vintage' here?

So what about watches made in the 1960's, 70's and 80's - are we considering these vintage?

Finally, is vintage related to when the technology was invented or put into popular production? Presumably a 1970's quartz would be vintage due to the novelty of the technology at the time.

Edit - I am not intending this forum to be exclusive (post whatever you want) but I for one would appreciate some guidance.
    Last edited by WWII70; Jan 9, 2015 at 10:57 AM. Reason: clarification
    Ebels (lots), IWC, Omega, FC, Eterna, Tag, Invicta, Movado
    If you are interested in the details http://www.intlwatchleague.com/membe...70&tab=aboutme

Good question.... would be interesting to see what others think. I've got a few items I consider Vintage.... will endeavor to participate in this subforum and hope to put anything too 'modern' !!
    I think mine are 60s at the earliest but most 70s and I guess some 80s (Soviet watches considered Vintage?)

A watch / model whose day has passed

4. Likes jsw41 liked this post
    To be vintage generally starts at 25 years although the watches of mine that I class as such are 30+ years old.
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk
    If the supply of ETA movement parts affects you please complete this survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/swiss_watches

6. Likes is that my watch, popoki nui liked this post
    PS when I was a kid "antiques" meant pre-Reform Act, ie pre-1832. So that excluded all that stolid Victorian tat

8. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    yeah a lot of my Russian are like 60's/ 70's / 80's and seem to be class as vintage it does seem to cover a lot of ground I have had 1940's watch that was call a vintage piece and a watch from 1991 as well but the 25 year mark seem a sound measuring level I would think on one site I use seems to class anything before 1990 as vintage if that helps
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

10. Likes scottjc, TokyoLunch liked this post
    Pre 1990 would fit with my 25 year theory so it works for me.
    It also means that about 90% of my collection qualifies...
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk
    If the supply of ETA movement parts affects you please complete this survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/swiss_watches

12. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    I researched this a while back, in regards to watches...the consensus was 30 years old or more.

14. Likes scottjc liked this post
    I had a 1995 Seiko made with the already long-forgotten (and extraordinarily capable) 6M26 movement, and that as far as I was concerned was vintage: it was from a era that is now over. This seems to me to be in line with the etymology of "vintage"
    Last edited by Der Amf; Jan 9, 2015 at 06:18 PM.

16. Likes scottjc, jsw41 liked this post
    Blog Entries
    It is an area that one can make as murky or as clear as they want. I am in favor of a 25 to 30 year stretch personally. What is five years among friends? Der Amf makes an interesting point on a watch / model whose day is passed. But if you pick one of those from the last five years, their title is better considered to be "discontinued". I am not that familiar with brands other than Zenith, but I know they discontinued several models lately and I would not label them as vintage.

To make a long story short, I would say continue posting in good faith, and if your watch / model is not that old, one of us will bring that up.

Cheers!

Dan

18. Likes is that my watch, Bwana, Der Amf, scottjc liked this post