Likes Likes:  86
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Longines Legend Diver

Blog Entries

Longines Legend Diver

A few questions:

Is it believed to be a proper "Forever Watch? (whatever that means?) I mean, as somebody who's only pushing 30, would I reasonably expect to see it on my wrist and functioning when I'm in my 60's?

Does anybody have any long term insight to overall accuracy? My Grail, whichever watch that ends up being, I would hope is accurate. I'm thinking of making one of my required parameters a Chronometer grade movement...but I'm not convinced that's 100% necessary.

Durability? 300m Water resistance, but a very pronounced crystal. I'm not planning on going rock climbing with it, but I'm still a little concerned about the crystal not having a bezel to protect it. Also, I'd likely wear the LLD on a Nato mostly, should I be concerned with tension on the Spring-bars? (or are they so easy to replace that I shouldn't worry?)

Basically, I'm kicking around the idea of the LLD instead of the Breitling-Colt/Avenger not sure which-as a way to end my term at the restaurant a little sooner. Don't mind the actual work, but I'm around a decade or more older than most of the other employees (at 29) and the playground drama is getting a little tiresome.

Any Thoughts?

It is indeed an attractive watch -

Name:  atmoshpere-watch-swiss-longines-heritage-collection-l3.674.4.50.0-800x720.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  42.7 KB
    Name:  NATO_book.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  40.7 KB
    (Images shamelessly stolen from a google search, if you you own either image I'll credit you or remove it at your request)

2. Likes gnuyork, watchdaddy1 liked this post
    I wouldn't worry about spring bars. They are easily replaced. Same with the crystal. If something were to happen to it, Longines is big enough a company to be around a while. So replacements should be available.

Movement is ETA 2824 iirc. A proper workhorse that any watchmaker should be able to service. Can't remember the tolerances on accuracy but believe there are some versions of the 2824 that's chronometer certified.

Edit: the LLD is a great looking watch btw. Didn't sit well on my wrist though when I tried it on. The long lugs didn't work for me (and others I've read) , so I definitely suggest trying it on.

4. Likes Spooky, watchdaddy1 liked this post
    I had an LLD date. Great watch. If the lug to lug were a few mm shorter I'd still have it.

6. Likes Spooky liked this post
    Design wise I think it's timeless - most vintage reissues are - I don't think it'll age badly in 30 years. Durability wise I don't suppose it's worse than anything else, though someone with long term ownership should know more.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

8. Likes Spooky liked this post
    It's a great watch but I prefer the non date version.

Cheers,

Richard

I was in love with this LLD ever since i saw one in the AD near my place.. what an Elegant sports watch.. way above my reach though..
    I'm on instagram: @iyonk_strap

Quote Originally Posted by happyscrappyheropup View Post
    I had an LLD date. Great watch. If the lug to lug were a few mm shorter I'd still have it.

Me too, the L2L kills.it for.me

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    Me too, the L2L kills.it for.me

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    I feel like I'm pretty lucky as far as such things go. I have 8.5 inch wrists, and having tried an LLD on it wasn't too bad

The 53mm Rangeman on my wrist (old photo):

Name:  20150622_143708.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  69.7 KB

13. Likes iyonk liked this post
    I own the LLD since 2011, if my memory is serving me right. It's a beautiful watch, easy to dress up. I see it as a "dressy diver" despite the apparent contradiction. As far as I'm concerned, the comfort on the wrist could be better and maybe that's the reason why I don't wear it more often. It's not only the L2L distance, is the way it interacts with your wrist, making the choice a very personal one.

You mention the crystal and yes, it's very expensive to replace (a few hundred dollars) due to the peculiar design, but it's not fragile and unlikely to need a replacement, anyway.

Regarding the accuracy, these are the readings I took based on my own watch and not statistically relevant, but maybe you could find them useful.

Position
    Rate (s/d)
    Amplitude (50º)
    Beat error (ms)
    Dial up
    +5
    Dial down
    +4
    Crown up
    Crown down
    +6
    Crown left
    Crown right
    +5
    Delta
    Average
    +2 s/d
    Last edited by CFR; Feb 4, 2017 at 06:06 PM.

15. Likes Seriously, Spooky liked this post
    If you're sold on the look (which is great), then go for it.

Your durability concerns shouldn't stop you. Crystals are exposed on most watches, most people don't scratch them, and they are easily replaced if you do. Springbar failures are rare and springbars are ten a penny. Well, maybe two a dollar.

Size would be my only concern, but not with your wrists.

17. Likes Spooky liked this post