Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Authorized Service necessary to preserve water resistance?

Hybrid View

Authorized Service necessary to preserve water resistance?

Particularly on chronographs that may employ proprietary gaskets on the pushers.

There are some very fine watchmakers around, but if they can't get all gaskets for the watch and if water resistance is important on a particular watch, does that mean one must send their watch to an authorized service center for servicing?

I just had a watch serviced by an unquestionably fine watchmaker. It was a diver chronograph. When I got the watch back I asked if all gaskets were replaced and he said only for the case back not the pushers, and if water resistance was important on this watch then it had to go to an authorized service center or manufacturer.

So is this the general rule to retain water resistance - always send the watch to an authorized Service Center??

Quote Originally Posted by Gary123 View Post
    I just had a watch serviced by an unquestionably fine watchmaker. It was a diver chronograph. When I got the watch back I asked if all gaskets were replaced and he said only for the case back not the pushers, and if water resistance was important on this watch then it had to go to an authorized service center or manufacturer.
    I'd have thought he should have been able to source and swap out the o-ring/gaskets.?

https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/m...e=G0686#select

Maybe he doesn't see too many chrono's ?

So is this the general rule to retain water resistance - always send the watch to an authorized Service Center??
    I'd say always send/take it to someone who'll specifically change the pusher seals.

Not necessarily to an authorized Service Center, but to a (brand) certified watchmaker, yes.

And unfortunately, some brands are progressively restricting the access to spare parts and technical information to independent watchmakers...
    Last edited by CFR; Jan 9, 2015 at 06:33 PM.

4. Likes Seriously, Henry Krinkle liked this post
    When I got this watch back I did contact a brand certified watchmaker (Govberg) and they said these gaskets are among a few parts that IWC will not release to them because IWC wants to install the gaskets themselves and do their own certification for water resistance on the watch.

because IWC wants to guarantee a certain level of in-house repeat repair work to ensure enough work to keep their workshops ticking over
    Fixed that for you.

Fair enough I suppose, but a slightly underhand way (in my view) of ensuring it.

Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    Fixed that for you.

Fair enough I suppose, but a slightly underhand way (in my view) of ensuring it.
    That's how I see it. As long as IWC or whomever brand isn't going to warranty the parts an independent installs, and that independent is warranting them then there is no reason to restrict these parts for any other reason than to keep their own service centres occupied.

8. Likes Nokie liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase View Post
    That's how I see it. As long as IWC or whomever brand isn't going to warranty the parts an independent installs, and that independent is warranting them then there is no reason to restrict these parts for any other reason than to keep their own service centres occupied.
    I guess. But this is my best watch for diving and swimming and I take it into the water frequently. I think in this case I'd rather have paid the extra, had I done this correctly from the beginning, and just send it to IWC. If water intrudes I'd rather have IWC standing behind the watch than an independent watchmaker.

I agree, although I find it disheartening that a brand would do this to direct the activity to their service centers.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Nokie View Post
    I agree, although I find it disheartening that a brand would do this to direct the activity to their service centers.
    They all do it, and Rolex is their leader.

12. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    ... IWC will not release to them because IWC wants to install the gaskets themselves....
    Quote Originally Posted by Nokie View Post
    ...I find it disheartening that a brand would do this to direct the activity to their service centers.
    They all do it, and Rolex is their leader.
    This is why I refuse to buy watches - any brand - that will cause headaches later.
    I should own my watches, not the other way round.
    Mighty customer-unfriendly of them.