Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: **** Interesting question for Rado fans ****

**** Interesting question for Rado fans ****

well we know after the fire that most of the Rado history was destroyed and it has been pieced back together through various threads / watch forums / old adverts and so on to form the history of Rado as we know it today.

my question is what do we know of their involvement with sending their movement's maybe to japan, why I asked this question was while checking something for another thread I came across this article and it had a paragraph which mention rako and some believe it was a badly translation and should be rado it seems ..

here is the paragraph in question ...

Movements for men's and women's watches are purchased from the "[rako-]" {also written there as "RAKO"} (maybe they mean Rado??) Co. in West Germany, to make the best use of equipment for producing munitions (after Korean War ends), and production [though maybe they mean, "development" and/or "pre-production"?] of wristwatches begins in February, 1957. [Ed Note: If anyone does know what this "RAKO" Co. is, feel free to chime in. I'll continue searching & will update w/ the correct name if I find it] .......

So was just curious to know if the some Ricoh may hold a rado movement or not ?

As always Ismy
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

I've seen the same paragraph, but with Laco in place of Rado, which seems more likely.

3. Likes iyonk, Henry Krinkle liked this post
    And now I've found other references. Takano's first watch, in 1957, used a Laco movement. Takano was taken over by Ricoh. Strictly speaking, I guess it was a Durowe movement.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    And now I've found other references. Takano's first watch, in 1957, used a Laco movement. Takano was taken over by Ricoh. Strictly speaking, I guess it was a Durowe movement.
    along my lines of thought as rado Swiss / laco Germany to could see laco fitting best ,but three letters out with rado only one but keeping coming back to the west German angle would make you think Germany company suppose it seeing which the movement look closet to and it's rado on the ones I have seen but that don't really mean much does it ... so laco I suppose has the edge
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

Blog Entries
    If you consider the most common errors in transliterating to and from Japanese, you could imagine l & r to be interchangeable, and c & k to be interchangeable. So if the information had been passed down orally, Laco = Rako. I agree with Alan, it sounds most likely, even with greater spelling divergence, they are more convergent sonically.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

7. Likes iyonk liked this post
    Rado has never had a factory in West Germany. I suspect Tribe is correct and it should be Laco.

9. Likes iyonk liked this post
    another question what does Exacto - Schlup & Co. have to do with rado ?

Exacto

Rado History | RADO Watches
    Last edited by is that my watch; May 16, 2017 at 10:28 AM.
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

think am going to have to open up my golden gate the second had is playing up as it runs for a short while then stops had a quick look at the movement seems fine so think the second hand is catching something .. strange as when I got it out yesterday it was working fine from the start just had to set the time did not bother with day/date thou but just now was going to do some pics when I noticed the problem
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

think am going to have to sell the rado golden gate as think it will need a service the movement looks fine the second hand looks slight bent but seem's to be fine and not catching got it going as soon as I touched the second hand it started working so I made sure it was firmed in and it was going, put it in the case working only for it to stop in a minute or two but gave it a few technical taps got it going at the minute so it is nothing major think needs a clean as the dial and case could do with a clean / replate so least the anchor is still spinning most old rados the anchor gets stuck so ran for four minutes and stop .. with the crown half cover making manually winding awkward .. might be it just need a good wind up by the flywheel
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    another question what does Exacto - Schlup & Co. have to do with rado ?

Exacto

Rado History | RADO Watches
    Exacto became Rado. There were a few copyright issues, in America I believe, with the Exacto name. Schlup changed the name to Rado.

14. Likes is that my watch liked this post