Being a Louis Rossel freak, maybe super-freak, when a model I've never seen occasionally pops up I have to look. A couple of weeks ago, a evrsion I've never seen showed up on the internet at a cheap price with a decent looking movement. I snapped it up. I knew it was in terrible shape, but where Louis Rossels are concerned I may make bad decisions from time to time.

Name:  P9020017.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  35.0 KB Name:  P9020018.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  43.4 KB

Name:  P9020019.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  38.9 KB Name:  P9020020.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  53.5 KB

Name:  P9020021.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  43.7 KB Name:  P9020022.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  42.3 KB

Name:  P9020023.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  28.0 KB

Louis Rossel used everything from plated base metal to tungsten carbide on their cases. The worst ones to work with are plated base metal as it is very easy to polish right through the plating and hardened chrome steel. This case is the chrome steel variety. It is quite scratch resistant but somewhat prone to dimpling from hard knocks. This one has seen more than it's share of hard knocks. Chrome is harder than most of the sandpapers I use, so after two or three swipes the paper is worn out.

The other bad thing about this watch is that it has the worst crystal ever used on a watch- mineral glass. This one is very deeply scratched.

I will post this renovation , if and when each step occurs. It should be an interesting look at the frustrations involved in such a task, as I am skeptical that I will be able to achieve my desired level of finish.

All Aboard!