Likes Likes:  7

View Poll Results: Which Flieger Dial Style Do You Prefer?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Type A

17 60.71%
  • Type B

11 39.29%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you an A or a B type?

Are you an A or a B type?

I think it's time for a long term Poll on the MPW forum. So let's see which Flieger pilot watch dials you prefer? I'll use examples from Stowa one of the original five manufactures who made these watches for the German Luftwaffe:

ALS
    Laco
    Stowa
    Wempe
    IWC

Type A:

Triangle at the 12 (for orientation) with a dot on each side. Time track on the outer edge of the dial with longer indexes at each 5 minute mark except the 12. Arabic number 1-11 at each 5 minute index except the 12. The hands are generally blued Dauphine style with long stick type second hand that is white tipped from the center post to the end on the side opposite the counter ballance. The hands and the dial markings are lumed for night visibility. Some have only the even number markers lumed (which does not appear to be a standard). This was the earlier Flieger style up to 1941. Case sizes were a large 55mm with very long straps since they were made to be worn on top the the leather jacket sleeves. Most modern are not nearly this large.

Type B:

The Type B was the later style (after 1941)and was casewise similar in size to the Type A. The Type B places the hour and minute tracks separately the dial with the minute track on the outer end and the hour track more in the center of the dial. Arabic numbers are used on both tracks with the triangle at the 12 (for orientation) being placed between the two tracks with a bar under it making it look like an arrow. The minute track has marks for each minute with each 5 minute interval having a double length index mark. Each of these 5 minute indexes is numbered in 5 minute intervals except the 0/60. The inner hour track has a dot on the track circle for each hour interval which are numbered 1-12. The minute and second hand on the Type B are the same as the A, with the hour hand being made shorter to the tip points to the dots on the hour track.

So which do you prefer and why. I'm not allowing a both or neither option so you must choose one.
    Last edited by Samanator; Jan 11, 2015 at 05:54 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

I like Type A when it has a small seconds subdial - that you find on handcrankers.
    But with autos, the dial looks too empty to me.

This is my Type B:

Name:  DSCN3118.JPG
Views: 223
Size:  74.6 KB Name:  DSCN3132.JPG
Views: 252
Size:  40.9 KB

3. Likes Bwana liked this post
    I have one or two A's and a B (with small seconds)

My preference would be the Type A as the simplicity of the dial fits the overall aesthetic of the watch. While I appreciate the added precision in reading the time on the Type B, I wouldn't be timing any bomb drops or refueling rendezvous so find the added text to be more in the nature of clutter.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by vinylgreek View Post
    My preference would be the Type A as the simplicity of the dial fits the overall aesthetic of the watch. While I appreciate the added precision in reading the time on the Type B, I wouldn't be timing any bomb drops or refueling rendezvous so find the added text to be more in the nature of clutter.
    Ebels (lots), IWC, Omega, FC, Eterna, Tag, Invicta, Movado
    If you are interested in the details http://www.intlwatchleague.com/membe...70&tab=aboutme

I've read though several accounts over the years and the one common claim for the move to the B was that the B was easier to tell the time on quickly. Once I saw a proper B dial I could see that being true. There are quite a few companies that mess up the hand and dial coordination required on the B by having the hands lengths wrong. This may be influencing some to see the B as busy (no pun intended).

Interesting that when GO was building the Senator Navigator Series the no date version used the B dial and the Pano Date version used the A dial set up. The B dial would not accommodate a date function very well and even less a big date. I've also seen some indicate that at the time the ALS Flieger were produced ALS and GO were kind of the same company? This is open for anyone who knows better to dispute.

This is my A dial GO:
    Last edited by Samanator; Jan 11, 2015 at 08:37 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

8. Likes MHe225 liked this post
    +2

I prefer the A for aesthetics. So that's how I'm voting. But for functionality, I'd prefer B ("hands down").

Quote Originally Posted by vinylgreek View Post
    Regards, T Bone

Even a broken watch shows correct time once or twice a day. I ought to know, I have a few!

Same here, A for aesthetics. So that's how I'm voting. And I'm not just voting with my mouth ..... I've voted with my feet / wallet too:

Name:  101212_IWC_Mark_XVI_MkII_Quad10_2m.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  224.0 KB

Name:  130727_Fortis_Flieger_2x.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  248.2 KB

Name:  131214_Stowa_FOLE_13_80_4m.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  41.0 KB

I may not be smart enough for a B-dial as I fail to see how I could tell time more accurately than from an A-dial

PS - one closer to my 1st badge .... maybe should play the word-game for a few hours. T Bone, are you up for it?
    PSS - definitely not smart enough: I could have broken this post in 3 or 4 .....
    IWL member 90

11. Likes I-B liked this post

Are you an A or a B type?

Gotta be A for me
    I lusted after a Poljot Aviator after seeing one in an ad in a pilot mag in the 90s, got it as my first *real* watch in 2012. So legible
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421045120.950528.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  71.3 KB
    Decided to get a no-name B dial (Raketa movement) as proof of concept before shelling out for a proper German one
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421045238.632385.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  95.4 KB
    And, though I liked the looks, I actually found it *harder* to read, realising that for me it's the angle of the hands that give me the time, the rest being just clutter
    The same applied to the Fortis Pilot Pro on the A side
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421045394.050165.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  50.1 KB
    Those extra minute markings didn't aid time telling
    So back to my Russian pal, which remains in my micro collection - killer lume too
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421045633.049408.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  54.9 KB
    Last edited by OhDark30; Jan 12, 2015 at 05:54 AM.
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

13. Likes Chronopolitano liked this post
    I don't have either but since I'm looking more at Type B I went for that. Although I would not rule out a Type A. In fact, I'm expecting I'll have at least one of each sometime in the not too distant future.... then I'll see how I feel....