Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Thoughts on Helios...

Hybrid View

Thoughts on Helios...

Just stumbled on a new model on Zenith's website. In theory it sounds very nice:
    - chronograph with 30 min counter
    - moonphase with night/day indicator
    - big date in one window (unlike Pilot big date)
    - only "Zenith" and "El Primero" text on dial
    - chrono second hand star doesn't cover moonphase (like in 410)

Just can't get over the 45 mm size and that minute tracks look weird to me. I mean why one track with one minute intervals, plus another with 1/5th fractions? Also looks like the contrast between hands and dial could be a little bit better, even though this certainly isn't meant to be an instrument watch.

What's your take on this piece?

http://www.zenith-watches.com/en_en/...elios-191.html

Is that a copy of the GO big date system (one ring inside another)? If so that's the first time I'm aware of seeing it on a watch other than a GO. I was beginning to wonder if they had got it locked up with patents (not that I know anything on this subject)

Last edited by Der Amf; Jan 11, 2015 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Punctuation

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Is that a copy of the GO big date system (one ring inside another)? If so that's the first time I'm aware of seeing it on a watch other than a GO. I was beginning to wonder if they had got it locked up with patents (not that I know anything on this subject)
    if GO had visual patents, Zenith would not be able to use them. It is a proven set of designs on a watch. Visually, it is ok with me. I prefer others better. With the. moonphase, it is kind of busy to me. Size ismok with me.

Dan

Don't know who has used this kind of date first, but Zenith has had this before at least in Captain Moonphase Big Date and some EPs with big date. I remember the other type of big date only from Pilot Big Date.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Is that a copy of the GO big date system (one ring inside another)? If so that's the first time I'm aware of seeing it on a watch other than a GO.

Sent from Maxwell Smart's shoe.
    Last edited by Fantasio; Jan 13, 2015 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Typo

5. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasio View Post
    Don't know who has used this kind of date firsta, but Zenith has had this before at least in Captain Moonphase Big Date and some EPs with big date. I remember the other type of big date only from Pilot Big Date.

Sent from Maxwell Smart's shoe.
    Ah here we go

Blog Entries
    Interesting. I am in the road now and will have to get back to you when I get more reliable I-net connection.
    Dan

As I say, I don't know anything about how patents work, but I was wondering why no one else was using a large 0-9 ring of numbers going round a small 0-3 ring, and wondered if the only viable mechanism for making it operate had been patented. Looking at the dividing line between the two digits here it looks like a similar set up is being used. I'm very glad to see this, as imo this is best method of getting a big date (well maybe second to Moser's system ) as it gets both digits on the same plane and in the same window