Likes Likes:  246
Page 38 of 48 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions Box

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Have I got this right: in your estimation the problem that you've encountered elsewhere isn't yet in evidence here?
    Yes, you're pretty well correct...not sure if my answer is a good, bad or pointless (in it's own right) thing.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Repetition is inevitable I'm afraid; we could adopt a Stuffler/Sturrock-esque 'do a search', but that's no good for the traffic here is it �� As for blowhards well that just people isn't it. As long as members aren't breaking the rules we don't really want to be moderating too much - we got enough flack for that in the last place (though I thought we generally did a pretty good job). We are so small compared to wus and whilst we are slowly growing I can't imagine the issues you raise rearing their head for many years.
    I'm great with any and all earnest questions and opinions from new watch owners - even if not a single Google link was clicked prior to the post. No need to tell them to search, just help them out if and when you can since doing so is about the best service these forums provide. I'm just musing - not insisting - if what you're currently doing can be maintained. If there's a philosophy behind sites like this then could steps be taken to ensure it doesn't get diluted too much, even when - or better said - as it grows? I'm not trying to paint you guys into an altruistic corner, but if altruism is part of the goal then speaking softly while carrying a big stick isn't the worst strategy.

With regard to people being people I'd totally agree, but there's a reason why morning zoo radio is popular while This American Life is esteemed. "Shut up Liam and start your own forum" is a reasonable response to all this.

Quote Originally Posted by Domo View Post
    OOOOOOHHHHHH I get it now.....He's talking about meeeeeeee
    Not even a little bit. You're easily one of the best / most entertaining posters I've come across. I'd be happy to get hit over the head by a fistful of your Grand Seikos any day.
    Last edited by ljb187; Apr 15, 2015 at 11:36 AM.

2. Likes Der Amf, Domo liked this post
    First point

We're generally inclined to have fewer forums than more. We have noted that people are voting with their feet in favouring Central over one or two other forums, and that might one day lead to change. No need to hurry, though. Personally, I like inclusive general forums.

Second point

I know what you mean about posts that might be deemed unnecessary, unhelpful or petty, but we might not all agree on which posts those were, and we don't want moderation to become unduly censorious. I don't think the problem is as great here as I've seen it elsewhere, but smaller forums are likely to be more cohesive than larger forums. Peer pressure, as much as moderation, determines the character of forums. Some moderator action is taken against the snarkier posts (and with good effect) but most of that will go unseen. Generally, we keep a light hand on the tiller and hope that members follow the good example of the majority.

4. Likes Der Amf, is that my watch, Jeannie, ljb187 liked this post
    So I was thinking .......... yeah I know bad idea.

But this one might be a nice one............ read on:

You know we have the banner at the top of each forum section page like so:

Name:  Screen shot 2015-06-18 at 18.58.03.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  59.5 KB

Well, there's a space ! on each one........

How difficult would it be to add a couple of member supplied (or voted for !) pictures of (relevant to each forum) watches in the boxes shown ?

Like a typical russian, swiss chinese , etc etc

Make it a bit more homely..... make the contributors feel wanted ... all that shizzle

Those spaces are reserved for live football scores.

7. Likes Seriously, BlackNomad liked this post
    There's only space if you're using most the width of your screen

Name:  IWL ban 1.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  16.5 KB

I usually have a separate for the browser window and it looks like this

Name:  IWL ban 2.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  21.2 KB

Sometimes I have a smaller window if I need to make space for something else running in another window, and then it looks like this

Name:  iwl ban 3.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  24.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    There's only space if you're using most the width of your screen

Name:  IWL ban 1.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  16.5 KB

I usually have a separate for the browser window and it looks like this

Name:  IWL ban 2.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  21.2 KB

Sometimes I have a smaller window if I need to make space for something else running in another window, and then it looks like this

Name:  iwl ban 3.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  24.5 KB
    Isn't there a way to make them dynamically resize? Seems there should be in this day and age

wonder have mention it before but could the signature allowance be made slightly bigger as I always get this happing when I try to put links to thread in my signature .....
    Your signature cannot be longer than 1000 characters including BB code markup.... just thought if I could say have four links showing would be good I sometimes can just get away with it when they are not to long titles ?
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

People don't like big sigs! Takes up a lot of screen space.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    wonder have mention it before but could the signature allowance be made slightly bigger as I always get this happing when I try to put links to thread in my signature .....
    Your signature cannot be longer than 1000 characters including BB code markup.... just thought if I could say have four links showing would be good I sometimes can just get away with it when they are not to long titles ?
    You can squeeze more in by using an URL shortener, I used to do that. I think I used Google's but there are others

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    People don't like big sigs! Takes up a lot of screen space.
    yeah in general I agree it can break up the threads to much just thinking the extra 100 was it would fix it but yeah do see your point
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1