Likes Likes:  9
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally broke down and bought a winder (a brief review)

Quote Originally Posted by rfortson View Post
    Nice. I have had a couple of the Brookstone 4-head winders that I've been pleased with, but I'll say that they don't last more than a couple of years. I had the extended warranty for $25 and it paid off once. I recently had a couple of the heads fail and I need to see if I'm still in warranty period for the exchange.

Even with the failures, I still think they are worth the $200 + $25. Very quiet, nice looking, and plenty of adjustments (like the OP's version). Gets the job done for a reasonable price. I can't justify the price for the major brands.
    Exactly--I don't know how much individual units are to replace, but however much it is, overall during say ten years, you'd never spend as much to replace units as you would for the price of an Orbita or Wolf. And those can fail, too.

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    You can also stack additional units vertically using the same power base.
    Attachment 8400
    You're going to need a bigger closet
    Ebels (lots), IWC, Omega, FC, Eterna, Tag, Invicta, Movado
    If you are interested in the details http://www.intlwatchleague.com/membe...70&tab=aboutme

3. Likes mlcor liked this post
    I have the AceTimer 8 watch winder which has 10 non-winding slots as well. Cheap at $300 inc. shipping. Chinese manufacture but well-made - lovely polished veneer and wide display lid. I wouldn't call it quiet but my wife has got used to it (I went away just after AI got it and she called me in the middle of the night about the funny noise "is there a burglar in the house?")

http://www.acetimer.com/8-Watches-Bl...-settings.html
    If you are interested in the details http://www.intlwatchleague.com/membe...70&tab=aboutme

Quote Originally Posted by WWII70 View Post
    I have the AceTimer 8 watch winder which has 10 non-winding slots as well. Cheap at $300 inc. shipping. Chinese manufacture but well-made - lovely polished veneer and wide display lid. I wouldn't call it quiet but my wife has got used to it (I went away just after AI got it and she called me in the middle of the night about the funny noise "is there a burglar in the house?")

http://www.acetimer.com/8-Watches-Bl...-settings.html
    It's much nicer looking, for sure, but I think it only operates bi-directionally, which wouldn't work for my JLC, which is unidirectional. Plus I do like the idea of easily replaceable individual modules. A handy person could crack the Ace unit open to repair or replace stuff, but that handy person, sadly, would not be me...

My wife is (to put it mildly) dubious about this hobby, so I was pleasantly surprised when, after I explained to her what was in the box and what it did, she didn't pursue it further.

Quote Originally Posted by WWII70 View Post
    You're going to need a bigger closet

You need to buy more watches ... to make use of the very modulartous nature of your new acquisition

I don't do them personally, I would have to have a breakdown before purchasing one , but each to his own, yours is nice.

My wife is (to put it mildly) dubious about this hobby, so I was pleasantly surprised when, after I explained to her what was in the box and what it did, she didn't pursue it further
    Did she back away slowly ?

Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    You need to buy more watches ... to make use of the very modulartous nature of your new acquisition

I don't do them personally, I would have to have a breakdown before purchasing one , but each to his own, yours is nice.

Did she back away slowly ?
    No, but I did get one of these:

Actually, I have more than enough to fill the other two, just have to wear them so they're fully wound before putting them in. The Zenith I'm wearing today will go in tonight...

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    ... I think it only operates bi-directionally, which wouldn't work for my JLC, which is unidirectional.
    Nope it has

Mode 1 Off

Mode 2 650 Turns Per Day Clockwise and Counter Clockwise

Mode 3: 850 Turns Per Day Clockwise and Counter Clockwise

Mode 4: 1000 Turns Per Day Clockwise and Counter Clockwise

Mode 5: 1000 Turns Per Day Clockwise

Ah. I interpreted mode 2 as meaning it did both clockwise and counter clockwise, alternating, not that you could choose one or the other. My JLC only does counter clockwise.

Nice review of a nice winder.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

11. Likes mlcor liked this post

Finally broke down and bought a winder (a brief review)

Actually there is a 6th setting not listed on their website (although it does state 6 settings)

Mode 6: 1000 Turns Per Day CounterClockwise

I didn't emphasise this enough in my first post but this is really well made; it is solid, all the edges line up nicely and the exterior is beautiful with a deep-sheen lacquered veneer. It is really lovely to look at, especially at the price. I cannot imagine why anyone would pay the equivalent (or more) for a single winder.
    Last edited by WWII70; Jan 14, 2015 at 10:53 AM.