Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do companies use mineral glass?

Hybrid View

Why do companies use mineral glass?

I have never understood why companies switched from plexi to mineral glass crystals. Acrylic is cheaper, looks better IMHO and you can polish scratches out. Why did companies switch? I understand sapphire but I can't figure out mineral glass.

2. Likes is that my watch, rfortson liked this post
    Cost (when compared to Sapphire)
    To make watches thinner (when compared to Plexi)

(imho )

4. Likes Little Big Feather liked this post
    Used to be a selling / marketing ploy back in the day "scratch resistant mineral glass" Oooohhhh wow, really? Actually, it can be argued that there are some pro's: less likely to shatter compared to sapphire and more scratch resistant than plastic.

6. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    But because of the doming usually built in one could argue that the plexi's are tougher to an extent.

But when bash comes to bash you'll break all of them

It's mostly just cranky enthusiasts like us that like plexiglass, most watch buyers will regard it as cheap and old-fashioned.

The same buyers probably won't distinguish between sapphire and mineral but would be quick to say "It's plastic? £500 and it's plastic?!" if the salesman pointed it out.

9. Likes scottjc, is that my watch, mleok liked this post
    In my experience, mineral glass is the worst of both worlds. I scratch it, but I can't polish it. I haven't scratched sapphire, and I can easily polish acrylic. Mineral glass isn't a deal killer, but it's not high on my list of good things.

11. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    I have a couple of vintage pieces that have mineral glass but on a new watch it is a deal breaker for me.

I think it's only because it's cheaper than sapphire.

Easy to correct any scratches, but I always prefer sapphire and it is a deal breaker for me too.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

Oft mentioned in Seiko threads mineral glass is the BEST choice. For me mineral glass is just a cost compromise, plexi and sapphire make much more sense depending on the intended use.
    ALS Blancpain Breguet Hamilton IWC JLC Omega Panerai Patek Rolex Tag Tudor Seiko Sinn UN Vacheron
    It's wack if it don't say Patek!
    Stealin' lunch money on school playgrounds for Rolex since 1978