Likes Likes:  19
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Archimede Bronze Pilot 39H

Thanks for the review. I can see the 39mm option being appealing to many people. I probably would opt for a Stowa over this since the finish seems better. One bronze watch was enough for me (Anonimo) to determine it was not for me.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

2. Likes GlennO liked this post
    In no way is the Fricker case of a Stowa better finished than the Ickler cases. I think Stowa hand finishes their cases because they have to, not because they want to. There are different levels you can get from Fricker, and the pricing of the Stowa offerings will tell you what level they request from them. They are both nice in the end, but I've handeled both and would definitely give the edge to Ickler with the cases. I'd give Stowa the edge on dial quality though.

It's unusual to see a company offering a variety of options and upgrades as a bad thing. I'd rather have this then "this is what we offer and that's what you'll get". When you consider that when you add things like a domed crystal, rotor upgrade, solid case back, etc... and you still come in under the stiffest competition's price, I don't see that as anything other than adding even more value to a piece that is already ridiculously priced for what you get.

4. Likes Seriously, GlennO liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by appa papa View Post
    It's unusual to see a company offering a variety of options and upgrades as a bad thing. I'd rather have this then "this is what we offer and that's what you'll get".
    Yes I agree. My criticism was just that, in my view, they have the caseback upgrade the wrong way around. And the ridiculous price for the Archimede signed rotor, not that I was interested in that particular option anyway.

Nice review Glenn- An Archimede Pilot is very much on my radar.
    Regards Cam

Watches
    Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Junghans Max Bill Auto, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1

7. Likes GlennO liked this post
    Great read and great watch. One of the few I like in bronze.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

9. Likes GlennO liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by appa papa View Post
    In no way is the Fricker case of a Stowa better finished than the Ickler cases. I think Stowa hand finishes their cases because they have to, not because they want to. There are different levels you can get from Fricker, and the pricing of the Stowa offerings will tell you what level they request from them.
    Jörg Schauer hand-finishes cases because he wants to bring his goldsmithing skills to bear on the finished product and because it doesn't satisfy him to simply assemble watches from parts. I've watched him finishing cases at close quarters and it's clearly something he enjoys and takes seriously.

Stowa's pricing is more likely to reflect smart business and relatively modest profit per unit.

Originally Posted by CFRThank you very much for this review, Glenn. Not sure the bronze cases are for me, but your comments and pics are very helpful.

+1.

I think a rose gold version would be nice.

Last edited by WWII70; Jan 17, 2015 at 12:08 AM.
    Ebels (lots), IWC, Omega, FC, Eterna, Tag, Invicta, Movado
    If you are interested in the details http://www.intlwatchleague.com/membe...70&tab=aboutme

12. Likes GlennO liked this post
    Bronze is another metal used that's not foreveryboby but I love the way it ages gracefully. Thanks for the review. It was insightful & your pictures are fantastic. Looks good on ya.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk
    People sleep peaceably in their beds @ night ONLY because rough men stand ready to do VIOLENCE
    on their behalf.....

William

Member#842

14. Likes GlennO liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by watchdaddy1 View Post
    I love the way it ages gracefully
    I quite like the way it ages disgracefully.

16. Likes GlennO liked this post