Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Friday Jan 16th - What Are You Wearing?

Blog Entries

Friday Jan 16th - What Are You Wearing?

I've had the Sinn on all week as we paint, paint, paint the house before the real estate photographer turns up next week;

Name:  P1120383.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  46.7 KB

And today, this arrived...finally;

Short version- I've wanted one of these for a very long time.
    Long version (and I DO mean long) - http://teeritz.blogspot.com.au/2015/...ear-chase.html

My wife can now stop hearing me go on and on about it.

Have a great weekend, all!

Now, where'd I leave the paint-brush?
    Last edited by Teeritz; Jan 16, 2015 at 11:04 AM.

teeritz

(IWL Member No. 72)
    My other distractions ---> http://www.teeritz.blogspot.com.au

2. Likes muddy250, CFR, gnuyork, timekeeper liked this post
    Wow wow wow! Congratultions Tino!
    So you didn't get stiffed after all. And relax.
    I'll head over and have a read shortly. Hope you're happy with it! :-)

Name:  IMG_7959.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  88.8 KB
    Chris
    Ω Seamaster3

4. Likes timekeeper liked this post
    X33 gen 2

6. Likes CFR, timekeeper liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Teeritz View Post

I've just read your blog. I admire your patience and your perseverance. And I hope the watch is, in real life, at least as satisfying as the - almost - archetypal you've cherished for so long; I believe it is.

Congratulations, Teeritz.

Cheers,
    C

P.S.: Perhaps It would be interesting to have a reference to your thread in the IWL Central, because this is not the usual "new watch thread". What do you think?
    Last edited by CFR; Jan 17, 2015 at 01:59 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by muddy250 View Post
    Wow wow wow! Congratultions Tino!
    So you didn't get stiffed after all. And relax.
    I'll head over and have a read shortly. Hope you're happy with it! :-)
    Thanks, Chris, nope, I didn't get stiffed. Until I had to pay the import duty. Still, that is but a distant memory now. Part of me does wonder what kind of watch collector I might have become if I had just bought one of these back in the Eighties when I first started working.
    Better late than never, I suppose.
    The only very minor downsides are the after-market bezel insert and plexiglass, but these are easily solved when I get the watch serviced one day. Movement is clean, dial and hands match, with no flaking, and it seems to be keeping very respectable time. So yes, pretty good for a 32 year old Sub.

Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    I've just read your blog. I admire your patience and your perseverance. And I hope the watch is, in real life, at least as satisfying as the - almost - archetypal you've cherished for so long; I believe it is.

Congratulations, Teeritz.

Cheers,
    C

P.S.: Perhaps It would be interesting to have a reference to your thread in the IWL Central, because this is not the usual "new watch thread". What do you think?
    Thanks, C. I came close to getting one once or twice in the past, but given their pricing, their was always somewhere else where the money could be used. Might actually post in Central, since I think this watch will be it for a while.

teeritz

(IWL Member No. 72)

9. Likes CFR liked this post
    Thanks, Chris, nope, I didn't get stiffed. Until I had to pay the import duty. Still, that is but a distant memory now. Part of me does wonder what kind of watch collector I might have become if I had just bought one of these back in the Eighties when I first started working.
    Better late than never, I suppose.
    The only very minor downsides are the after-market bezel insert and plexiglass, but these are easily solved when I get the watch serviced one day. Movement is clean, dial and hands match, with no flaking, and it seems to be keeping very respectable time. So yes, pretty good for a 32 year old Sub.
    Good to hear! You see I'd have no idea that the plexi and bezel insert were after-market if it were mine. This is the worry but as you say, easy fix and nothing but cosmetic. You can just replace the insert with Rolex can't you, unlike Omega's complete bezel swap requirement?

If I buy anything else I've decided it has to do something other than the 3 I have now so a GMT would be the thing, especially given our plans to travel more. In spite of the cyclops I'm finding myself drawn to the polar explorer lately. I'd eventually like a Rolex in the box rather than another Omega, for the sake of variety.
    Chris
    Ω Seamaster3

11. Likes Fire99 liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Good to hear! You see I'd have no idea that the plexi and bezel insert were after-market if it were mine. This is the worry but as you say, easy fix and nothing but cosmetic. You can just replace the insert with Rolex can't you, unlike Omega's complete bezel swap requirement?

If I buy anything else I've decided it has to do something other than the 3 I have now so a GMT would be the thing, especially given our plans to travel more. In spite of the cyclops I'm finding myself drawn to the polar explorer lately. I'd eventually like a Rolex in the box rather than another Omega, for the sake of variety.
    I took the watch to my watch guy and he took the entire thing apart, except the movement. He said the crystal was an aftermarket one made for old SeaDwellers. He gave it a polish and refitted it to the case. The bezel wasn't genuine Rolex, but that's the least of my concerns. I was just glad that the dial was clean (looks really nice without the crystal in front of it) and the caseback threading wasn't pitted or corroded.
    As far as I know, Rolex will just replace the insert as part of a service.

I don't mind the Polar Explorer, even though I prefer the black. However, your collection would be a little more balanced with another light coloured dial thrown in, so I'd go Polar in that instance. It's minty-white dial would be different to your opaline AT, too.

teeritz

(IWL Member No. 72)

I took the watch to my watch guy and he took the entire thing apart, except the movement. He said the crystal was an aftermarket one made for old SeaDwellers. He gave it a polish and refitted it to the case. The bezel wasn't genuine Rolex, but that's the least of my concerns. I was just glad that the dial was clean (looks really nice without the crystal in front of it) and the caseback threading wasn't pitted or corroded.
    As far as I know, Rolex will just replace the insert as part of a service.

I don't mind the Polar Explorer, even though I prefer the black. However, your collection would be a little more balanced with another light coloured dial thrown in, so I'd go Polar in that instance. It's minty-white dial would be different to your opaline AT, too.
    It does look good even in the photographs, crisp. will you send it to Rolex eventually then or use a trusted local watchmaker for service?
    I'm not thinking of the black Exp at all, the white suits me best and as you say, balances the others too. Main thing to sort out is which model, old smaller or new fatter. I prefer the dial on the older model. Hands too fat on the new but at least they didn't fatten the lugs like the new sub case, a more proportional enlargement so I'll have to get one on my wrist to test it.
    Chris
    Ω Seamaster3

I've had the Sinn on all week as we paint, paint, paint the house before the real estate photographer turns up next week;

Name:  P1120383.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  46.7 KB

Short version- I've wanted one of these for a very long time.
    Long version (and I DO mean long) - http://teeritz.blogspot.com.au/2015/...ear-chase.html

My wife can now stop hearing me go on and on about it.

Have a great weekend, all!

Now, where'd I leave the paint-brush?
    Oh my gosh you lucky dog!!! I love it!

Blog Entries
    It does look good even in the photographs, crisp. will you send it to Rolex eventually then or use a trusted local watchmaker for service?
    I'm not thinking of the black Exp at all, the white suits me best and as you say, balances the others too. Main thing to sort out is which model, old smaller or new fatter. I prefer the dial on the older model. Hands too fat on the new but at least they didn't fatten the lugs like the new sub case, a more proportional enlargement so I'll have to get one on my wrist to test it.
    I'll probably go the Rolex route. Of course, my watchmaker looked at it and said: "Your only risk is if it's a stolen watch. Rolex will just confiscate it if it's been reported as stolen."

The Ex II is also a little more left-of-field than all the Subs and SeaDwellers that people tend to go for. And besides, you've got the dive watch category well represented already, Chris. Try on both the older and newer models if you get the chance. You'll know which one you prefer as soon as you put it on.

teeritz

(IWL Member No. 72)