Thread: Omega, Rolex, or Breitling?

Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolitano View Post
    Like a BOSS!
    In Mejico, they call me El Hefe.

Quote Originally Posted by M. Montaigne View Post
    In Mejico, they call me El Hefe.
    They call him el. It means 'the'.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Everyone knows the cool guys wear Omega!

4. Likes gnuyork liked this post
    I just like all three. Forced to choose - it'd be Rolex, followed closely by Omega, with Breitling pulling up the rear at some distance.

My rational is pretty straightforward.

Dive watches are my first horological love, and Rolex, to my mind, makes the nicest Dive watches of the three - the Sea-Dweller is an incredible piece, and even the no-Date Submariner is day-dream worthy. I've saving my pennies and dimes to get one, eventually. Omega makes a nice dive watch, to be sure. But the manual HEV ruins the design for me. The SM 300, however, is beginning to make a powerful counter argument. Just not one that's enough to sway me from the SD / Sub, just yet.

For me it's about the watch, not the brand. Although I will say the name "Rolex" rings in my ear badly... and that's a tough prejudice to get over.

Having said that, it is very likely that my next big watch purchase will in fact be the Rolex Explorer II 216570... which will be my pick for my favorite current Rolex:

My favorite Omega has to be the one I have... my Aquaterra GMT:

My favorite Breitling is hands down the Cal 01 containing Transocean Chronograph.
    Collection:
    RGM 801A - Montblanc Twinfly Flyback Chronograph -
    Omega AquaTerra GMT - 1972 Heuer Autavia Viceroy
    Ball Engineer Master II Diver World Time - JeanRichard Terrascope - Longines Legend Diver(Date) - Luminox 6250 - Hamilton Intra-Matic(42mm) - Magrette Moana Pacific Professional - Oris XXL Pointer Day - Orient Pro Saturation Diver

7. Likes Chronopolitano liked this post
    Ric Capucho
    All three are great brands, although the modern Omega range floats my boat more than t'other two.

If yer go vintage (1960s or 1970s, the heyday of Swiss watch design and good taste) then I'd add Zenith and Heuer to the group... and I'd have a hard time choosing between the five of 'em.

Ric

What are those 8 orange dots for on the Rolex?
    I'd like to own a Rolex, just don't feel like paying for one though.
    But if ever I am in an elevator or an alley with no cameras around, and I see an opportunity to do a clean "grab and go" - and I do mean, grab and GO -- off of a guy who is not likely to chase me, well, I just might "acquire" a Rolex after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Doboji View Post
    For me it's about the watch, not the brand. Although I will say the name "Rolex" rings in my ear badly... and that's a tough prejudice to get over.

Having said that, it is very likely that my next big watch purchase will in fact be the Rolex Explorer II 216570... which will be my pick for my favorite current Rolex:

My favorite Omega has to be the one I have... my Aquaterra GMT:

My favorite Breitling is hands down the Cal 01 containing Transocean Chronograph.
    Last edited by Chronopolitano; Nov 17, 2014 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolitano View Post
    What are those 8 orange dots for on the Rolex?
    I'd like to own a Rolex, just don't feel like paying for one though.
    But if ever I am in an elevator or an alley with no cameras around, and I see an opportunity to do a clean "grab and go" - and I do mean, grab and GO -- off of a guy who is not likely to chase me, well, I just might "acquire" a Rolex after all.
    I'm fairly certain the girth and athleticism of your average Rolex wearer is much more amenable to such acquisition.

Quote Originally Posted by M. Montaigne View Post
    I'm fairly certain the girth and athleticism of your average Rolex wearer is much more amenable to such acquisition.
    'Swaddamsayin' yo.

I have a history with all three.

Most Breitling cases generally don't fit me well to the point of pain. I tried an Avenger Chronograph that didn't work and I had to put the Ti Avenger Seawolf on a thick leather strap to get is raised up enough to be wearable. The 46mm Super Ocean Heritage was very good (except for the $2 clasp), but as my wrist size got smaller it became too big. I've been waiting on Breitling loose some parts in their in-house and build either a 3 or 4 hand version for the 42mm Super Ocean Heritage (hopefully with a better clasp). Currently I don't have one in my collection.

Rolex and me go back to my first Automatic watch which was a TT Sub back in 86. So when I came back after trying it on about 100 times I bought a Hulk. The color proved to be too much so I may get a black sub or the BLNR GMT some time. I also tried the Milgauss GV for a year, but never really bonded with it. I think what ruined the other Rolex for me is when I bought my Polar White Explorer II (42mm). It's so good no other Rolex really equals it.

An Omega Seamaster 300 Pro was my second Automatic watch when I sold my Rolex (remember when people just had one watch). I had it for about 10 years until I sold it to get a PO (that I wound up returning since it did not look in real life like the pictures). Then I had a break for a few years from Omega until the Ploprof 1200 came out. I've gone through a few over the years but currently 3 of my current 7 are Omega and I have one more coming. So I guess right now they are my favorite brand.

Last edited by Samanator; Nov 17, 2014 at 11:31 PM.

13. Likes Chronopolitano, Rob, geoffbot, N/A liked this post