Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Shinola Watch Co. Michigan

Shinola Watch Co. Michigan

What do you know about Shinola Watches? A colleague was wearing one of these and it was quite striking - large at 47mm but it looked good. http://www.shinola.com/shop/watches/...tch-s0112.html

Movements handmade in USA from 'over 4 dozen' Swiss parts? S**t or Shinola?
    Last edited by WWII70; Jan 16, 2015 at 11:03 PM.
    Ebels (lots), IWC, Omega, FC, Eterna, Tag, Invicta, Movado
    If you are interested in the details http://www.intlwatchleague.com/membe...70&tab=aboutme

I like em. I wish they did the central seconds and date setup in the Brakeman except in the Runwell case.

More of a novelty, IMHO.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

They seem to be getting good distribution into Macys and other non-watch specific shops.
    Saw a good range on the cruise ship at Christmas, not quite for me but they do well with the American watch branding.
    MB2, SOH, Aquascope, Tangente, MM300, Blackbay, North Flag, Officer, Visitor.

I own one and enjoy wearing it. It's quite well made.

Shinola doesn't deserve the hate it gets.

7. Likes Samanator liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Imitation of Life View Post
    I own one and enjoy wearing it. It's quite well made.

Shinola doesn't deserve the hate it gets.
    Completely agree.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

We had an interesting discussion on them right after the debut of IWL. Thread went more towards critiquing the name than the watches. Interesting company I think, looking forward to what else they'll do (and looking forward to the first made completely in Detroit). For those who don't know, the firm was founded by the same guy who started Fossil.
    Regards, T Bone

Even a broken watch shows correct time once or twice a day. I ought to know, I have a few!

Not for me. I wonder how much of the appeal is 'made in America'.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

11. Likes Little Big Feather liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Not for me. I wonder how much of the appeal is 'made in America'.
    I would say the draw is more the Built in Detroit label; a sign of life coming from a city that many see as dying if not dead. A resurrection spark from what was once a shining example of industrial innovation and glamour. The artist/nostalgist in me loves what Shinola is doing, and there are plenty of examples of starting small, building the capability, and going your own way. (Ch. Ward kind of comes to thought.)

Oh, and Shinola as a brand is starting to become hot. When someone who knows/cares nothing about watches asks me (last week), "What have you heard of Shinola watches?" you know something is building. Several billboards is the NYC area. Ads in multiple magazines. It feels like in a year it has gone from boutique-y to trendy.

My personal thought on the watch itself...nothing about it screams "I've got to have one." BL: Any expenditure on a Shinola would draw funds away from an RGM purchase. Of course, not fair of me to effectively cross-shop the two, but then again, life ain't fair.