Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pocket watch question

Pocket watch question

This isn't my watch - it belongs to an antiques dealer who shares space in a local antiques centre. It was returned by a buyer because two of the hands fell off shortly after purchase. It apparently ran well enough before sale but no longer winds.

The dealer bought it in Saint Petersburg. It came with a story. It was said to be one of a batch intended for submariners serving on the Kursk, which famously came to grief in the Barents Sea. It had remained in a naval warehouse until somehow finding its way to the Saint Petersburg trader.

I have some doubts about this story...

Here's the watch -

The text on the front reads: 'Red Army North Fleet'. The text on the back reads: 'For Service to the Fatherland'. If my translation is correct, that is.

I have found many similar watches on the internet, but none with this inscription on the rear. Naval examples usually just have an anchor. Also, the other variants I have found have a polished (or chrome-plated?) front cover. Most, but not all, have a polished rear cover.

The main problem with the warehouse story is that the watch (and chain) show obvious signs of wear.

Questions:

1. Has anyone seen an example with this inscription on the rear?
    2. Is there any record of Molnija pocket watches being presented to submariners - or are they all novelties or souvenirs?
    3. Is the finish on the front original or has the original polished finish worn away?

My personal theory is that it could conceivably have been presented to a submariner, but it could also be a novelty. Either way, its owner wore it until it stopped working. It was then inexpertly repaired and set aside for sale to a gullible tourist.

My antiques dealer friend, while knowing very little about watches, is reluctant to believe that he may have been conned. Out of courtesy, I kept the full strength of my scepticism in check and said I'd ask around.
    Last edited by tribe125; Jan 17, 2015 at 04:31 PM.

2. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    well interesting story just one question you miss out how much did you buy it for lol... not really in to pocket watches but that does look quite charming but very tourist in look thou so love to find out what it is too

and if it's a molnija they are pretty good so yeah
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

and looking in to it a bit think it may have been put together thinking about it should it not have an anchor on the dial I was looking at molnija as a possible source for a pocket watch conversion in to a wrist watch and I saw thinking about it a submarine pocket watch that was I think a molnija let me see if I can find the pic's

does this help at all ?
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

Interesting pictures. They show the polished finish and anchor on the rear that I mentioned. I note the anchor on the dial, but wouldn't see that as an indication that the one I have shown is a 'bitsa'.

Since 'mine' has a rear insert that looks like bronze, I guess it's possible that it always had a matte front. I've probably seen approaching a hundred examples, but have yet to find one with the 'Service to the Fatherland' inscription or the matte cover (it feels and looks as though it could be pewter rather than steel, but I'm really not sure).

maybe officer edition ?
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Could be. I'm tempted to polish the front cover to see if I can work up a bit of a shine - but better not, since it's not actually my watch...

'Service to the Fatherland' bit throws me you would think more Germany then mother Russia that is what is throwing be off
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Could be. I'm tempted to polish the front cover to see if I can work up a bit of a shine - but better not, since it's not actually my watch...
    what's he asking for it ?
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

I don't know the first thing about these watches, but my gut instinct looking at it is that it is designed to appeal to a Western purchaser.

Don't know if that's a remotely useful thing to say, so feel free to ignore

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I don't know the first thing about these watches, but my gut instinct looking at it is that it is designed to appeal to a Western purchaser.

Don't know if that's a remotely useful thing to say, so feel free to ignore

some Russian watch was made for export my raketa is an example the days of the week and the city's is in English not in Cyrillic could be wrong put was told for export

so could be a design for sales export but the farther land bit still is off ?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy