Likes Likes:  3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pocket watch question

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    I always thought the fatherland was based on.

''Fatherland'' is actually a reference to German Fatherland political party, which lasted from 1917 to 1933

were ..

Mother Russia is a national personification of Russia, appearing in patriotic posters, statues etc. In the Soviet period, the term Mother Motherland was preferred, as representing the multi-ethnic Soviet Union.

still, there is a clear similarity between the pre-1917 Mother Russia and the Soviet figure, especially as depicted during and in the aftermath of the Eastern Front of the Second World War.

lol

i believe that is not the case -it is a common expression used across the board by very many nationalities -and is only associated as a German only 'thing' because of its over use by them for propaganda purposes - it had use a century before the First World War

how do you do that I got one of those translate apps but I have not got an cyrillic keyboard app
    I found an online Cyrillic keyboard and then copied and pasted into Google Translate.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    I found an online Cyrillic keyboard and then copied and pasted into Google Translate.
    got the link ? might come in hand
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

got the link ? might come in hand
    Nope.

I just Googled likely search terms and a couple came up.

Blog Entries
    If you can get a look at the movement, a Molnija should have a date like say 2-55 (2nd quarter 1955.) The 15J stuff was made into the 60s for sure - long after the Swiss makers went to 17J.

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

I'm reluctant to take the back off for fear of marking it or not being able to get it back on. Would it press fit with just finger pressure?

Text on the sub-seconds dial says it has a 15 jewel movement.

I found this on the internet:

• Molnija pocket watch movements have from 1947 to 1960 normally 15 jewels.
    • Molnija pocket watch movements have from 1955 to 1960 either 15 or 17 jewels.
    • Molnija pocket watch movements had from 1965 to 2007 normally 18 jewels.
    • Early Molnija pocket movements do normally have date codes and are nicely finshed. Recent movements did no longer have date codes nor had they factory codes.
    • Watches made shortly before the closure of the factory had very rough / unpolished parts.

But I've also read that the movements were downgraded to 15 jewels before the closure of the factory in 2007.

Blog Entries
    I don't have a Molnija here but normally a pocket watch case unscrews. If it's pressfit it would snap back easily enough although I have not seen many like that. Normally they unscrew or have a hinged back.
    <Edit> They do have a snapin case so you'll need a case knife or a sharp pocket knife (be careful.) They should open and close easily enough.

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

Thanks, Ray - and naturally I couldn't resist.

By the inadequate light of a desk lamp -

No date markings, but I understand the factory marking by the movement number means that it was produced in the Chelyabinsk factory, which used the symbol from 1964 to its closure in 2007. 'RU' means post-Soviet, which means late 1991 or later.

So, the outside dates for the watch are 1991 and 2007. Considering that 15 jewel movements are said to have been used again in the final years, maybe it's as late as 2006-7.
    Last edited by tribe125; Jan 18, 2015 at 09:24 PM.

9. Likes Der Amf liked this post