Likes Likes:  34
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Design flaws that really bother you?

Design flaws that really bother you?

The Black Sheep thread has entertained us with some appalling aesthetic watch designs, but what about the structural design flaws that just make no sense? Things that make you slap your head and say "now, why would they do that"?

For me it is rubber straps that you need to cut to be sized to your wrist, for instance to fit into a deployment buckle. I have this on my Eterna PD and refuse to cut the strap; consequently I wear this watch on Natos and borrowed straps.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...n-watch-strap/
    Ebels (lots), IWC, Omega, FC, Eterna, Tag, Invicta, Movado
    If you are interested in the details http://www.intlwatchleague.com/membe...70&tab=aboutme

2. Likes pantagruel, Raza liked this post
    Grand Master Seiko Fanboy mike120's Avatar
    For me the worst is integrated lugs, of any kind. They drive me bonkers.... I know that 99% of the watch being population couldn't possibly give less of a hoot, but for me its always a deal breaker.
    Cheers,
    Mike

4. Likes Der Amf, Munchie, boatme99, Upstate, Raza liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mike120 View Post
    For me the worst is integrated lugs, of any kind. They drive me bonkers.... I know that 99% of the watch being population couldn't possibly give less of a hoot, but for me its always a deal breaker.
    ...... and proprietary straps and attachments bother a lot of people, although I have come to terms with this as an Ebel owner

Last edited by WWII70; Jan 17, 2015 at 06:22 PM.
    Ebels (lots), IWC, Omega, FC, Eterna, Tag, Invicta, Movado
    If you are interested in the details http://www.intlwatchleague.com/membe...70&tab=aboutme

Somebody's - presumably the "designer"'s -- signature.... as if the dial were a check.
    Or as if I would swoon to have his (%#*^% autograph !!!

The stupid and very expensive straps for my BVLGARI...
    Name:  001.JPG
Views: 155
Size:  50.3 KB
    It's rubber with hard molded sections too.

Cutting a rubber strap to fit always makes my pulse race. I understand how nice it is to have a more custom fit, but when a replacement is usually $100 or more, it puts a lot of pressure to get it right the first time. With bracelets, I tend to play around with placement of half links to get the most comfortable fit. With cut-to-fit rubber, there is no such luxury.

One of my personal design pet peeves is incorrectly sized hands. Minute hands that don't reach the markers is a common frustration for me. It seems like such a simple thing to do right, but it amazes me how often the hands don't fit the dial.

9. Likes jsw41 liked this post
    i don't really have many if any true design pet peeves, I own watches with all the above characteristics and other than stressing the first time I cut a strap for a Ploprof they don't bug me at all.

If I had to pick something that gets close to a true peeve it would be watches that have poor readability. I have several watches that the lack of quick reading of the time is my number one issue with the watch.
    ALS Blancpain Breguet Hamilton IWC JLC Omega Panerai Patek Rolex Tag Tudor Seiko Sinn UN Vacheron
    It's wack if it don't say Patek!
    Stealin' lunch money on school playgrounds for Rolex since 1978

Odd numbered lug widths. I dread one day having to find a replacement strap for my VE Ekranoplan. Where on Earth can I find a 25mm strap!?

Quote Originally Posted by pantagruel View Post
    Odd numbered lug widths
    Yeah they are a bit irritating , I have a Victorinox Airboss that's 23mm

Yeah 23mm !!, I mean wtf
    It had a bracelet on it and I wanted leather .... I did find a genuine leather (from another market territory) for it though after a bit of sideways thinking and searching.

I can't think of any other design flaws, if a watch has one, I don't buy it , and thankfully I haven't bought into any that were hiding one so far.
    Things like the weird strap fixing problems above just warn me right off the watch before purchase.

I don't see what the problem is with cutting a rubber , it's your wrist and your watch ...
    if it bothered me (about resale or something ) I'd still cut it , but buy a genuine replacement (now) to store away.

Must have pointed this out on a million threads, but it drives me mad.

Why has a 9 been used instead of a 6 on the 9 o'clock sub dial? (The numbers face into the dial). Yeah, I get what they did, but why not just go with 4, 8 and 12. That would have also balanced with the other dials better.
    G-Shock: GW3000B-1A
    Rolex: Submariner 14060M
    Accurist: 1961 Shockmaster (Gold) & 1965 Shockmaster (Steel)
    Omega: Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00
    Meistersinger: Perigraph AM1002
    Ben Sherman: S489.OOBS
    Rotary: 1990 Quartz (Gold)
    Steinhart: Ocean GMT 39mm
    Certina: DS Super PH500M & DS PH200M
    Timex: MKI Mechanical

14. Likes MHe225, Yankeexpress liked this post