Likes Likes:  45
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hats anyone?

Hats anyone?

Just occurred I've not seen this discussed here. One of my other hobbies is hats. Started wearing and collecting them somewhere around 4-5 years ago. I do fedoras, newsboys, berets, whatever. I have both new and vintage (quite a few of each), several brands but heavily weighted towards Stetson. Probably around 40 in all, with vintages starting in the 1940s or so, many from the 1950s.

Back a few decades, it was rare for a man to leave home without his hat. This changed slowly, but seemed to nearly reverse sometime in the late 1960s. So do any of you regularly wear or collect hats? If so, what brand/style/type do you prefer?
    Regards, T Bone

Even a broken watch shows correct time once or twice a day. I ought to know, I have a few!

2. Likes Jazzmaster liked this post
    As a younger guy a few of my friends collect baseball caps. Apparently its a pretty big thing and apparently you cant remove the sticker or it loses its value? Or the sticker tells you where the hat is from? I thought they were all just made in china haha.
    When we all go on trips i see them put hats in specific hard carrying cases to they retain their shape. I judge them silently, as i slip my waterproof and shockproof pelican case of watches into my bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current and Collection:
    Rolex Submariner No-Date Ceramic, Rolex GMT Master II Ceramic, Rolex Datejust, Rolex Datejust II, Rolex Milgauss ZBlue, Omega Speedmaster Pro, Tudor Hydonaut, Tudor Blackbay, Tudor Pelagos

4. Likes Bwana, is that my watch, T Bone liked this post

I always think I look a **** in a hat (hey that rhymes ), I wish I could wear one.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    When we all go on trips i see them put hats in specific hard carrying cases to they retain their shape. I judge them silently, as i slip my waterproof and shockproof pelican case of watches into my bag.

7. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    well about twenty year ago baseball caps was my thing. had like 50.. but would always wear the same two lol but had to give them up as they lead to baldness apparently (don't ask ) lol still got my philleys eagles cap somewhere

sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

I wear a flat cap fairly regularly from Goorins.

http://www.goorin.com/shape/flatcaps

Blog Entries
    My generation was probably the first to ignore the traditional Stetson hat entirely when dressing up. Aside from baseball caps and toques (knit winter cap) I have never worn one.

Name:  ERMacDonald4.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  71.8 KB

This is my dad in the early 1940s and at that time you were not properly dressed without a hat like his. Things completely changed in the 20 years after that.

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

When I was younger, I wore a Philadelphia Flyers cap non stop. I swam in it, I slept in it. When I was done with it, it almost had to be surgically removed. I have a 'collection' (I don't 'collect' them, but I have a bunch, so I guess it's a collection) of caps, but almost never wear them. As I age I get paranoid about hair loss, and think that I might have a much fuller head of hair today if it weren't for living in that hat for all those years. The exceptions are for times of sun exposure or warmth. Playing golf I wear one to protect myself from Mr. Sun. These days I wear a toque if I'm going to be outside for more than a few minutes. More for my ears than my head, but I can't stand ear warmers and prefer a toque to protect them.
    It is now my duty to completely drain you.

I don't wear a hat, but I might start. This is me in a flat cap - what do we think?!

Quote Originally Posted by RayMac View Post
    My generation was probably the first to ignore the traditional Stetson hat entirely when dressing up. Aside from baseball caps and toques (knit winter cap) I have never worn one.

Name:  ERMacDonald4.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  71.8 KB

This is my dad in the early 1940s and at that time you were not properly dressed without a hat like his. Things completely changed in the 20 years after that.
    I wish men still wore them ritualisticly - it's nice to be able to doff one's cap and say 'good morning'.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

My attitude to hats (except when it's cold) - if you've hair, why cover it up?
    Last edited by Der Amf; Jan 5, 2015 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Typo