Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommend some books

Recommend some books

One of my New Year's resolutions was to read more. I am just finishing up A Grand Complication by Stancy Perman (about the Henry Graves Supercomplication that sold recently). I need some interesting books to read. So give me some recommendations.

What I would like
    Books about watches
    Books about cars and racing
    Fiction books that I should read before I die

Don't recommend
    Sci-fi
    Books about WWII (I have an absolutely massive stack of them)

What you got?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

Blog Entries
    "Longitude" by Dava Sobel, if you haven't read it already.

teeritz

(IWL Member No. 72)
    My other distractions ---> http://www.teeritz.blogspot.com.au

4. Likes thewalrus liked this post
    Very short novel called Closely Observed Trains, written in Czech in the Sixties. I'm sure the reviewers on amazon say more intelligent things about it than I would manage so....

Edit: reader's review on Amazon (the best of a less wonderful bunch than I had expected)
    It is easy to miss the signifance of this little book. It is a quick read and it is only right towards the end that the reader discovers the significance of the "closely observed trains" and who is observing them, with what consequences. Up until then it is a rather curious tale of a young man's coming of age struggle in war torn Czechoslovakia. But that is the whole point - the contrast between the ordinariness of his dilemmas of how he becomes a man and the far from ordinary times in which he lives. Bohumil Hrabal gives us an all too brief a glimpse of small town life in occupied Europe towards the end of WWII. He produces a unique and compelling mix of the bland, the surreal and the dramatic that occupy a young man's thoughts as he goes about his business as a junior railway official employed at an isolated, but important junction near the Russian front. The small things of life do matter and Hrabal has produced a brief, bittersweet way to remind us why.
    http://www.amazon.com/Closely-Observ...asin=349101256
    Last edited by Der Amf; Jan 18, 2015 at 07:56 PM.

Blog Entries
    Ready Player One. Really fun read, especially if you're a child of the 80s.

7. Likes Teeritz liked this post
    Angelmaker.

Quite apart from being one of the best fiction books I have read in many decades, this one has got it all, including the all important clockwork doomsday device.

Read this review and tell me it hasn't got it all for a WIS who is in the mood for some readin'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/b...ay-review.html

It's got to be the first time ever that I've changed watches to read a book!

9. Likes Teeritz liked this post
    How about 50 Shades of Grey? I never read it myself but it's a popular read i hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Angelmaker.

Quite apart from being one of the best fiction books I have read in many decades, this one has got it all, including the all important clockwork doomsday device.

Read this review and tell me it hasn't got it all for a WIS who is in the mood for some readin'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/b...ay-review.html

It's got to be the first time ever that I've changed watches to read a book!
    I've heard really good things about Harkaway, need to check him out

Read all the Jason Bourne books a good action compilation 10 books in al
    Lots of old watches, ex mwc vet -Ceud mile failte , CWC ,,Longines Legend diver ., Omega Geneva & Seamaster 300 GMT, Seiko King Seiko plus,, Tudor black bay 58, Tissot Titanium Chronograph. Seiko miscellaneous.

We should probably start a book club