Likes Likes:  60

Thread: Is It Ultimately Just Pointless?

Threaded View

Is It Ultimately Just Pointless?

I was having a conversation with a friend who until a few years ago had a deep collection of Rolex, Panerai, Breitling, and Omega (and was indirectly a major enabler to me buying many of those watches) and noticed he doesn't even wear a watch now. He was never a big WIS type guy and just bought them because he has money, is a bit of a douche, and it was cool to do so in the corporate world at one time. (I know, hand em over to me then right?) but It got me thinking how lately watches just don't excite me like they used to and are really falling out of favor with most people. I suppose what I'm referring to is a luxury watch as I still see many GShock-cheap Quartz types frequently. I really started getting into the hobby about 10-12 years ago and it seemed to be such a bigger deal back then. I would see my clients, managers, and successful people in my business dealings sporting all sorts of great stuff. I don't see so many these days outside of the occasional Rolex Sub. Most suited corporate drones are now watch less. I used to scour the web and spend lots of time on forums, but not so much these days except this one because you guys are the real deal. I think it's also a combination of buying many of the watches I wanted and not really having anyone outside of this forum who gives a rip about them to share in the hobby. The kicker for me was when having dinner with friend of mine who noticed my Breitling and said something to the effect 'don't those cost like a thousand dollars? (I wish) -'You are the only person I know who really wears a watch other then a digital so why would you pay that type of money for something like that?' Not really wanting to explain this hobby to someone who wouldn't understand I thought to myself, for maybe the first time, he has a point. I guess ultimately are we all just investing our time and money into a dying hobby?
    Last edited by Dienekes; Jan 18, 2015 at 06:44 AM.