Likes Likes:  60
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is It Ultimately Just Pointless?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    As someone very definitely a noob in the context of this thread - less than 18months still - I don't find it dying at all. Trends so often look different depending on individual perspective, where in the ebb and flow you joined.
    yeah and no a bit been collecting watches since I was about 14 years old so tastes change then they change back in some ways sometime you are talked in to buying a certain watch and a month later you are like nah not for me it's a learning curve and if you buy what you like then you will always be happy true in time a watch may lose it's appeal and another take over but if you are buying for yourself then you will always enjoy it and that is what count's the enjoyment of a watch
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

2. Likes Der Amf, scottjc liked this post
    I think mechanical watch is here to stay,,however the principle of economics regarding demand and supply still applies,as the price keep rising,there should still be a demand for mechanical watches

I'm slowing down in my purchases because I have attained what I have wanted and I was lucky that recently I had a chance to look and try the watch that I wanted for soclong,but I find it not that impressive in that respect

Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
    I am 26 and I have noticed that slowly more of my friends have started wearing watches. Mostly Ecodrives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Same here. I've noticed that my friends are also taking an interest in watches, so they come to me for advice on potential purchases.

I once was an outcast in my age group/group of friends for liking watches, but that's changing.

5. Likes JAGtime, is that my watch, scottjc liked this post
    Get better friends - ones who appreciate watches!
    Perfect answer.....
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Get better friends - ones who appreciate watches!
    I don't have any friends who are in to watches. That's why I'm here- hoping you're my friends.

As for the OP, I really don't care if watches are a dying hobby. I enjoy it. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

-hayday
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

8. Likes Der Amf, mlcor, geoffbot, man of kent, Nutty28 liked this post
    A dying hobby?
    First, it's not a "hobby" in the strict sense of the word. That was well covered in another thread.

Second, it's merely a form of enjoyment.
    Ergo, you pay for the enjoyment, not so much for the thing,

From that 2 more things;

1. As much as I love the pleasure of wearing a watch, I think it really is silly to spend beyond a certain amount for this pleasure.
    I think obsession with watches is an unhealthy symptom of something else - not so much love of watches per se, especially if one does not even have the know-how to take one apart and put it back together again. Just consumption.

2. Life is short - enjoy yourself.

Savagely Average
    The moment you start worrying about what everyone else is doing/thinking.....a hobby will almost instantly lose its appeal. My interest in watches is for me. Most of my friends do not understand it or care much about watches, but they listen. They have hobbies I do not understand, but I listen. It works well.

Trick is to start late like I did. I'll be exiting this world way before any disinterest or hobby dying happens . . .

Beats the heck out of collecting purses!

13. Likes is that my watch, Chicolabronse liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by uchinanchu View Post
    Trick is to start late like I did. I'll be exiting this world way before any disinterest or hobby dying happens . . .
    I used to be in wine retail and used to spend every spare penny on nice wine. Were I still entertaining myself with a bottle of wine a day I'm absolutely sure my hepatologist would regard that as a Dying Hobby, and would be delighted to hear that watches get all my attention and money these days.

15. Likes uchinanchu, scottjc liked this post