Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time and Tide - HOW TO: Let your significant other know you’re buying a watch –*8 str

Time and Tide - HOW TO: Let your significant other know you’re buying a watch –*8 str

The reality is that watches are luxury goods, so the ‘need’ to buy them rarely occurs. That means for most, they naturally fall very low (some say too low) on life’s list of priorities, and most definitely do not out-rank things like kids, mortgages and school fees. And unless your partner shares your passion, I’d gamble and say they don’t think that your wrist darlings are as important as you think they are. So, the perennially thorny question is: “How do I buy this watch with my partner’s blessing?” Forget “Rolex or Omega?” or “Who’s in the holy trinity this week?” This is the biggest dilemma for watch lovers. And one that becomes especially important when you’ve got a burning desire to pull the trigger on a new piece. And what kind of friends would we be if we didn’t provide some friendly advice? The worst kind, that’s what. Word to the wise before reading on: you know your spouse better than we do, so pick the best method that works for you. 1 – It’s an investment,*darling Telling your partner that a watch purchase will be an ‘investment’, is one of the more popular methods amongst collectors. After all,…

The post HOW TO: Let your significant other know you’re buying a watch –*8 strategies for success appeared first on Time and Tide Watches.

More...

That's quite amusing
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

3. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    That's quite amusing

Quite. Around here, I tell my Other Half that I'm going to buy another watch, and she says "OK", and then I buy the watch. And then....well...that's pretty much it, really. Often, I don't even tell her, and she doesn't want to know. Whee.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

5. Likes geoffbot, Seriously liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by popoki nui View Post
    Quite. Around here, I tell my Other Half that I'm going to buy another watch, and she says "OK", and then I buy the watch. And then....well...that's pretty much it, really. Often, I don't even tell her, and she doesn't want to know. Whee.
    Same here. Most times now when there's a package to pick up, she doesn't even ask what it is. Just the rhetorical. "Another watch?"

7. Likes popoki nui, litlmn liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by meijlinder View Post
    Same here. Most times now when there's a package to pick up, she doesn't even ask what it is. Just the rhetorical. "Another watch?"
    This.....

And the reverse is also true "Another Purse?".

9. Likes meijlinder, Samanator liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by litlmn View Post
    This.....

And the reverse is also true "Another Purse?".
    I wish my wife spent her money on purses - then I could throw it back at her when she makes that face when say I want to spend x on a motorbike. Instead she shows me a malnourished dog in a cage in Korea that she wants to save and I'm like urgh... can't argue with that...

11. Likes Samanator liked this post
    No worries, here. My wife knows there are a lot of watches around the house, but has no idea - or chooses not to know - how many.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    I wish my wife spent her money on purses - then I could throw it back at her when she makes that face when say I want to spend x on a motorbike. Instead she shows me a malnourished dog in a cage in Korea that she wants to save and I'm like urgh... can't argue with that...
    I'd have the problem too if I had a bigger house, and didn't have 3 dogs already...

Quote Originally Posted by litlmn View Post
    I'd have the problem too if I had a bigger house, and didn't have 3 dogs already...
    Oh that's our dream - a huge plot and hundreds of rescue dogs, but until then she gives purse money to charity.

My better half has a vague notion of how many watches I have, and no notion of what they cost. OTOH, the way we work our finances, after all the appropriate amounts are put aside for bills, saving for retirement/kids' college/weddings/etc., we each get a certain amount of money that is just for ourselves to do with as we wish. She puts hers in her bank account, I spend most of mine. So, I'm safe--if she freaked out over what they cost, the answer would simply be "it's all from my mad money, so that's that." Just as I wouldn't say a peep if she wanted to blow some of hers on whatever. But she is simply averse to it--we went into my favorite watch store a couple of weeks ago, and she looked at a couple of bracelets. Afterwards, she said they were nice, but she'd never spend thousands of dollars on a piece of jewelry. I'm a lucky guy.